Lock Jaw on 10x22

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quake

Reaction score
I got a new grizzly 10x22 about a week and a half ago. Overall, seems like a lot of lathe for the money and I'm pretty happy with it.

It came with a 3-jaw chuck on it, has a 4-jaw & faceplate in the box. Last night I thought I'd try out the 4-jaw; but I can't get the 3-jaw off.

Per the owner's manual, you're supposed to more two holding screws - no problem there. Then your supposed to put the handle of the 4-jaw chuck in a hole in the spindle and put the 3-jaw chuck in the chuck then rotate counter-clockwise.

When it wouldn't budge, I got some steel tubes and added some leverage - just bent the 4-jaw handle and hollowed out the hole in the spindle a little bit. I then put some oil (that kind I hate using on anything - wd40), tapped the from of the chuck with a rubber mallet - very carefully.... still no joy. Maybe I'm not giving it enough encouragement ... but I don't want to knock something out of whack.

Any ideas? (Starting to wonder if they welded it on for shipping.)

That WD-40 stuff is the subject of a class-action suit because it contains benzene, which I believe causes your bone-marrow stem-cells to mutate, causing blood-cancer. So do many of the solvents and other materials in your shop. Ask me how I know.
Good luck with your chuck.

Quake,
This problem has come up before with the 10x22's. It has been well documented on the yahoo 10x22 site and there have been some suggestions made there as to how to remove the chuck without damage. I don't recall if the subject has come up before on this site, so you might want to search the archives here also.

Good luck with your lathe. I have one also and I like it.

Cheers,
Phil

Somewhere on this forum somebody suggested applying Heat to the back of the chuck, I will try to find the post tonight when I get home.

This was a reply to one of my own posts.

Re: Lathe which one to buy??
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 07:16:29 PM » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeff. I also have the 10x22. No issue with chucks,standard thread.Like another post mentioned this lathe comes with a 3 jaw , 4 jaw independent and a faceplate. The 3 jaw is on the spindle when you receive it. I tried to remove it and had problems. Finally I put a heat gun on the back plate for a minute or so and the chuck easily spun off. I imagine the chuck was spun on hard at the factory. I have found out since that a number of people had the same problem.
I have been using my lathe since mid December, no problems at all.This lathe is accurate and has plenty of power for its size.
I also bought the Quick Change tool post, I recommend this too.

mike

I finally managed to get it off. Tapping it, heating it - none of it worked for me. Grizzly support offered a suggestion which worked. In case someone else runs into this, I'll note the solution.

First, I turned down the end of a 5/8" scrap steel rod so it fit the spindle lock whole - probably about 8" long. This way I could place the end of the rod up against the lathe bed to stop the spindle without needing to hold on to it.

Next, I replaced the inside jaws with the outside jaws, and just moved them in a little bit. Then I took a 2x4 and put the 4" side against the chuck face with the 2" side firmly up against one of the jaws. Then I smacked the 2x4 downward, with tension on the steel rod, using a 4 lb hammer, one of those with lead shot in the head.

The problem appears to be some of the packing grease dried out on the threads.

After all of that, I cleaned up the threads and lightly oiled them and then checked the TIR .... was a little surprised it hadn't got any worse!

-Quake

Latest posts

Back