LMS Oscillating Engine (first timer)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

For a first project I've decided to build LittleMachineShop.com's oscillating engine mostly because it appeared the simplest and most idiot proof of what I could find. For a first project I've decided to build LittleMachineShop.com's oscillating engine mostly because it appeared the simplest and most idiot proof. :big:

I went scrounging around in my dad's scrap bin, and found some 3" aluminum round rod and 1.5"x1.5" square stock. Assuming I move everything up so that it doesn't hit the plate, is there anything bad about the extra material? I assume the extra mass in the flywheel is probably a good thing, but will the extra mass in the cylinder be bad? Should I take the time to just mill it down for looks and smooth running?

http://littlemachineshop.com/Products/Drawings/2593OscillatingEngineAssembly.pdf

IMG_20120106_145952.jpg

Thanks!

Deviating from the plans on your first build is not something I would recommend to a novice. A large part of developing your expertise involves learning to follow the plans.

Once you've got some experience and confidence you can begin to introduce your own variations.

Hi Ian
These Oscillating Engines are great to make. Everyone you show it to will be impressed. I would follow the plans also. Anyway you want to clean up the material anyway.

Latest posts

Back