Listen To The Machine!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
I always say, just listen to the machine.
If it sounds bad it is probably going to turn bad.

This video is another bit of proof to that matter.
The machine will TELL you if something is wrong.
All you need to do is listen to it.

In this video you can see that the tool is positioned far too high above center.
The carbide insert is not even reaching the part. The anvil and holder are rubbing
heavily on the work piece.

When it starts to sound bad, the operator keeps pushing it.
The end result is predictable.

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-Y8FvTgHzk&feature=related[/ame]

Rick

He has a full face shield and long sleeve shirt on, so he knows he is safe.

Kenny

that video reminds me of a guy i used to work with.
he was running the lathe in reverse and could not figure out why he could not cut the steel he was trying to turn down.
after pushing the tool in to the steel more and more the carbide insert popped off and landed in his open shirt.
i guess it was real hot cause to this day he has a nice triangular burn in his stomach :eek:

my philosophy is if it don't sound right or look right i probably is not right.

thanks for the video rick.

chuck

Classic - while watching I thought "any second now we'll see sparks" and sure enough.......

But then how did I know that ??????

Bette Middler was once told to listen to her body talking - so she listened and it said "F... You !"

I was once consulting a company on a line of centreless grinders - first visit to the line I said to the boss "I can hear they aren't set up right" - talk about funny looks.

Ken

1Kenny said:
He has a full face shield and long sleeve shirt on, so he knows he is safe.

Maybe that was the whole point of the video? The operator knew what was going to happen but the guy on the camera wasn't prepared.

Either way a good lesson whatever the language.

Pete

I think metal spinning might be a more appropriate vocation :big:

An if you are not producing a chip something is wrong.
Tin

Heh, the problem with "Listening to the machine" is you need a point of reference, which means you have to have done it right at least once to have heard it! ;-)

Seriously, for a "Newb" you don't know what "right" sounds like until you have some time on the machine.

I find myself constantly discovering entirely new "wrong" noises. ;-P

Good point TroyO.

I can promise you will never forget the bad noises. ;)

Rick

What should be gained out of this is, one can read and take all the necessary safety steps one knows and have read about but it will not work if one does not step back and keep the basics in mind, no amount of safety gear will help with that simple flaw in his thoughts. My feeling is he covered his face and neck with a shield, that's good. He is wearing a long sleeved shirt running a machine, that's bad. He was so carefull, yet he did not look at the basic set up to make sure the his tooling had clearance and would cut. The crime is he kept going at it.

Kenny

Count me lucky I got to work with and observe lots of "old timers" in many different fields. One of the constants of the best and safest workers is concentration ("Shut up while I do this!) and pauses to consider before starting out or starting up. (In my first summer job on a construction site I couldn't believe the amount of time it took to set up a ladder: I learned why and now it takes me a long time too.)

What is sad is that "bean counters" determine that time taken for this stuff is wasted and that everything can be done faster if goals are set to reduce "unproductive" time.

Just my two devalued cents worth.

--ShopShoe

I miss the power-feed surface grinders Literally singing to me .005 at a time in the die shop.

listening is important. there have been several times that I have caught the chuck rubbing the compound . I feel stupid. sometimes the sound says feed me other times back off or sharpen the tool.
Tin

Latest posts

Back