Levitating Motor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken I

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
This is my current project - one of those magnetically levitated Mendocino motors.

This is just the PoC lash up which ticks over at about 60 rpm on my bar in ambient light or at night time under one of the 20W mini downlighters - which is just what I was hoping for.

levit8a.jpg

Along with some of my other engines on the bar.

levit8b.jpg

I foolishly tried to get it to levitate horizontally but according to Earnshaw's theorem Maxwell's equations prohibit this.

(There are some loopholes to be explored yet - I actually want to build a verticaly levitating version but unlikely without some supporting electronics.)

As per usual I will post a full set of plans and build notes under the downloads section once completed.

Watch this space.

Ken

Very cool Ken ! Any chance of a short video of it running ? Quite a nice collection there too...must make for some interesting bar chat :)

Regards,
Bill

Sweet!!!!

I have been looking at those for quite some time now!
The commercial ones cost around $200!!

They look like an interesting item to build!

Thanks for posting the plans when you get a chance!!

Andrew

Great project Ken. IIRC Earnshaws theorum dates around 1840 before superconductors came about so there are indeed loopholes to be explored.

Great project Ken, I have seen these before. College students build those for classes. Been wanting to build one myself. It makes a good conversation piece. Ihave a small version but no photo cell on it, when you touch it LEDs light up on it.

Don

Will look forward to those plans. If I had a bar like that I would never get anything done. I mean watching the engines run of course, lol.

Bill, I will probably only make the video when completed - but if anything interesting pops up or I get a chance I might do one sooner.

Herbie, Even superconduction magnets and very powerful fields are restricted by Earnshaw's theorem - what he did not consider was the diamagnetic properties of most non-magnetic (as opposed to paramagnetic) materials.

Diamagnetics oppose a magnetic field - regardless of polarity - but the effect is very weak and only becomes significant in very powerful fields.

The strongest diamagnetics are Bismuth and Pyrolytic Carbon which offer sufficient force to levitate a small magnet within the field of a larger neodium (NBI) magnet.

Even water (and your own body) has diamagnetic properties - they have been able to levitate frogs and mice in extreme magnetic fields using this effect.

I have been trying to get hold of Bismuth - but I get the look reserved for AlQada members looking for Plutonium.

In the US they use the stuff for birdshot - its non-toxic compared to lead - I'm sure the birds really appreciate that.

Ken

Ken. You are correct in regards to the diamagnetics which have a relative permeability of less than one. (i.e negative magnetic susceptability). I have experimented with bismuth which did indeed come from birdshot. I mention superconductors as they can be considered as the perfect diamagnet with relative permeability of zero and can completely expel magnetic fields due to the Meissner effect (discovered early 1930s) when the superconductivity initially forms. Further stability is accomplished due to flux pinning within the superconductor.
I have also achieved levitation using a number of Hall effect devices but that is another story.

Greg, Thanks for the link - yes - but I'm not sure I can support the mass of the rotor but I'm going to try.

Herbie, You know your stuff - my crystal ball tells me you are likely to recieve a PM from a confused stranger with issues.

Regards,
Ken

Ken, I'm not sure I understand the concern then. Those pens just use a magnet in the top to keep it standing. I had one as a child and it spun like crazy. The closer you put the magnet to the top the less load there will be on the contact point on the bottom. As long as balance is not atrocious I expect it will work just fine.

Greg

Now we're all watching............

Hi Ken,

Good work there! I like it. I have never seen one of these motors before and this looks really interesting. I'd be very interested in your plans. What is the source of those magnets?

First take on the motor:

It has two windings to create a rotating magnetic field (two fields in phase quadrature) ... commutation is via the solar cells rotating away from the light source and the fields.

Question: Adding an additional pair of windings and solar cell pairs will smooth the torque but will this work without major modifications to your design?

Jerry.

I want to make one too. These motors have certainly generated a lot of interest but having four projects under various stages of construction I feel I should complete at least one of them before making a start on one of these fascinating little devices.

Seems like a lot of interest.

Greg - I wanted to levitate it vertically not just "hang" it off a magnet - but that will do (I actually want to build two, one horizontal and one vertical - possibly combined - just swop the rotor.

Stan - that's an excellent link and anyone interested should look it up. I agree with their magnet configuration - with like poles facing out so it doens't matter which way around you place the rotor.

Andrew, Jerry - you can have any number of poles but 4 is the easiest - odd numbers requre connection in star or delta.

Now for a bit of practical info:

Firstly none of this is complicated or requires any exacting fabrication - almost anything can be made to work.

I scrounged the solar cells off some dead Chinese pathway illuminators (garden lights) - these cheapies tend to die within a year and are then discarded - so keep your eyes open.

The actual cell is a QHDQ-08A - which is a 50mm x 50mm x 2mm thick solar cell - probably the most commonly used cell on this type of application.

They're rated at 100mA @ 3V - In direct sunlight in Cape Town the best I could get was 68mA @ 2.7V - so I'm guessing that rating applies at the equator with the sun directly overhead.

You need high current / low voltage for this application - higher voltages will require more turns of thinner wire.

I connect each cell pair in paralell - you could do it in series - but you'd just be making work for yourself. Opposite pairs are connected together in reverse and on to the coil - simple.

The magnets I bought - just look up a magnet supplier - they are not terribly expensive.

I used a 25 Diameter x 7 Diameter x 6 thick. (Neodium, Iron, Boron) - this is a standard size - obviously the hole in the middle simplifies mounting - also since these things are sintered - the sizes are quite precise.

Be careful these things are powerful enough to inflict a nasty pinch and can fly together so violently they shatter (in pairs) I've broken two and my grandson 4.

(I use some 50x50x15 magnets on industrial applications and they are seriously dangerous.)

My rotor hub is made from 6mm MDF and tongue depressors - somewhat incongruous machining a lollipop stick in a mill but WTH.

I placed the bits of wood in the MDF grooves and secured by pressing drill shanks into the slot to hold in place - then applied superglue to all the joints to secure (being careful not to glue the drill shanks in place) - after winding, a coat of Glyptal secures the winding and everything else together.

The shaft is a diameter 7 x diameter 5 carbon fibre tube from a hobby shop and the spacers are Dia 10 x Dia. 7 aluminium tube.

Winding wire is 36 swg (0.18mm) ± 150 turns = 40m.

Again I "scrounge" my winding wire from rewinders and transformer manufacturers who consistently throw away near empty spools - still plenty of wire on them but not enough to bother with the next "run".

So if you are interested - you might start looking for scroungable materials.

The height at which the rotor levitates is obviously determined by the position of the magnets and the mass of the rotor - hence my lash up - the final centre height will only be determined once the rotor is finished.

Ballance is an issue - static ballance is dead easy - but it really needs to be dynamically ballanced as well - without using sensors etc. I am doing mine (not finished yet) by sticking lumps of modelling clay to the rotor - static - then with a piece of tape wrapped to the rotor shaft I bring a magic marker to make a mark at the high point of the "wobble" - add a small clay mass (a guess) to counter it (removing the piece from the static lump) - once I get that right I will replace the clay with bits of copper wire bonded into the winding grooves. Final touch up ballancing will be by adding epoxy or laquer.
The other reason ballance is a bit fiddly is the "centre" is the magnetic centre - so bond the end magnets in place before final ballance tuning (if you move them angularly after ballancing you can throw the ballance out slightly).

I did the winding in my 4 jaw (turning by hand - gearbox in neutral - a PITB) with alternate layers going to opposite sides of the shaft - I used glass tape over the shaft spacers and between crossover layers for added insulation (given the low voltage this is probably overkill but WTH). I wound half of each winding then changed to the other to ensure a more even crossover.
The crossover obviously ends up with a lot of voids which I filled with a hard (very quick setting) polyurethane resin - but any quickset epoxy or polyester would do the trick.

Hope to get more done over the weekend.

I'm going to make the base and support structure out of perspex (to enhance the open appearance). I'm going to replace the brass acorn nuts with perspex end extensions with a steel ball in the end - this will run against a glass plate - I might put a small magnet behind the glass to secure against collywobbles from imperfect dynamic ballancing / higher revolutions.
I intend to put supports at both ends to gaurd aginst rubberneckkers knocking it off.

The rotor should just float on the magnets with a slight bias towards the support end (only one) with two it will move to one or the other end (who cares).

I have made a few glass disks with a 30mm diameter diamond tube drill - but the edges look like they were made by a neolithic flint knapper - does anyone have tips on how to do this splinter free ?

Ken

Ken,

I am loving this engine idea. My chosen profession is an electrical engineer, but it is rare that I allow any EE work into my chosen hobbies. (I like my work, but I also like to leave it at work) however, this is one that will cause me to cross-bread a bit.

How thick do you need your disks? I bet I could cut them on the waterjet here. I'd cut them for the heck of it, but shipping to Cape Town might be prohibitive.

Latest posts

Back