Let's talk cutter grinders

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Timo,

Thanks, here in the UK "Drill rod" or "Silver Steel rod" is supplied soft and it is left for you to harden ! I wasn't aware that you could buy pre-hard drill blanks, here it would be HSS tool blanks. I actually have some 1/8" and 3/32" sold as 2.5 mm and 3 mm.

Years ago, I wanted a lathe alignment bar with a No2MT shank.
I was orgaising a flight and car hire and a my villa in Menorca in the Baleares.
He thought that he could do me a good turn by grinding doen a worn out reamer,
Un fact, it cost him a compolete bug grinding wheel in grinding the flute s off.
Hence as a cost accountant, I wondered and obviously wonder now just how much it cost him.

I make things that I cannot get at a reasonable cost and question the pres ennt prudence( or other wise)

I the past week. or so, I was lent a professional drill grinder- ex USA and 110Volts but found that a copy hsd beenn made by the Chinese for a me re £50 in China and -- in plastic.

So the written down value. of machinery- after deducting the 20% VAT- Value Added Tax or Plus Valia was 25% on obviously a sliding scale pe r annum.

I tend to expect things to go uo in valu e. I bought that villa for £7500 and after all charges got £168,000 back,

M thoughts- of course.

Hi Timo,

Thanks, here in the UK "Drill rod" or "Silver Steel rod" is supplied soft and it is left for you to harden ! I wasn't aware that you could buy pre-hard drill blanks, here it would be HSS tool blanks. I actually have some 1/8" and 3/32" sold as 2.5 mm and 3 mm.
Hello,

yes it happens a lot to me that I confuse the language, and materials, because it is not always clear what is what.
The HHS tool blanks come from the same Taiwanese company that also makes drills. Drill Blanks They call it drill blank on the pack.

The tool shops stock the complete range of sizes, and they sell them single.

Greetings Timo

Years ago, I wanted a lathe alignment bar with a No2MT shank.
I was orgaising a flight and car hire and a my villa in Menorca in the Baleares.
He thought that he could do me a good turn by grinding doen a worn out reamer,
Un fact, it cost him a compolete bug grinding wheel in grinding the flute s off.
Hence as a cost accountant, I wondered and obviously wonder now just how much it cost him.

I make things that I cannot get at a reasonable cost and question the pres ennt prudence( or other wise)

I the past week. or so, I was lent a professional drill grinder- ex USA and 110Volts but found that a copy hsd beenn made by the Chinese for a me re £50 in China and -- in plastic.

So the written down value. of machinery- after deducting the 20% VAT- Value Added Tax or Plus Valia was 25% on obviously a sliding scale pe r annum.

I tend to expect things to go uo in valu e. I bought that villa for £7500 and after all charges got £168,000 back,

M thoughts- of course.

I am not sure what you are trying to say?

Reasonable "make or buy" decisions for the metal working hobby are an impossible task.
Nothing I can think of that cannot be bought at a reasonable cost. (exception beeing houses obviously).
As soon as I start thinking in total cost incl. cost of ownership and worktime, it becomes a nightmare.

If I start factoring all costs. The DIY drill will turn out to have cost several thousand £. I could have bought one for 1£ 20P.
In that case I would not need the drill in the 1st place.
I could have bought a can of beer for the money :)

I doubt that machine tools are a good area for speculative investments, unless you have all the knowledge about the collectors markets.
Most machinery looses its value up to a certain age, after this it is all about working condition.

One question is if a Chinese plastic copy of a professional drill grinder is still a professional drill grinder?
I bought some used machinery that was more expensive, than a similar sized new one. My hope is it works better and will loose less value.

Greetings Timo

p.s. Do not get distracted with figuring out if the Quorn MKIII will go up in value. ;)
Just keep us up to date with progress.

Last edited:
Hello,

it is that 2nd hand machine that I bought last Saturday, it was delivered on Monday. Now I was exited to show my first steps on using it.View attachment 126462
At the moment I am limited to 6mm blanks, it came only with one collet. Some (few) more collets are ordered.
They are pricey, so there will never be a complete set of them.

Sorry - - - - I can't find any information on the machine.
Do you have any?

Do you have any?

I suppose that I was just tall enough to see over the blacsmith's anvil. I watched intently, and more than 80 years later, I'm still learning.

Yesterday, my son drove his 'Deux Chevaux which was designed in the Dark Ages to do a job that he hadn;t time to do--- and they asked where the pony to plag in the computer was.

Of courde it was 'a vapeur blockage in the hot w eather and it was a 2 cylinder aircooled engine.

So I presented him with my old stroboscope for diesl engines.
It was my 91st birthday-- nand I mcould recall those days.

Do you have any?
Not really, only this pdf. I found a 2nd hand offer on some Japanese used machine website, it seems to be a rare species.
So I think I am stuck with a "Uniquorn" (pun trial)

I could order some collets, grinding wheels are 31.75 mm which is not too unusual, so that I will figure out at some point.

Greetings Timo

Attachments

• 201705161122335165(1).pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 367
Not really, only this pdf. I found a 2nd hand offer on some Japanese used machine website, it seems to be a rare species.

I could order some collets, grinding wheels are 31.75 mm which is not too unusual, so that I will figure out at some point.

Greetings Timo
Excellent pun!

Timo

If you try to follow me on the metal cutting bandsaw discussion, you will realise that I have opened the Quorn parcels and the instruction book.

As Chaddock- originally wrotte up very clearly. how to sharpen a multitude of tools you might do wors e that getting one of the MK3 sets of plans etc ot the older Book of the Quorn.

Very exhausting but readab;e and very informatuve

Timo

If you try to follow me on the metal cutting bandsaw discussion, you will realise that I have opened the Quorn parcels and the instruction book.

As Chaddock- originally wrotte up very clearly. how to sharpen a multitude of tools you might do wors e that getting one of the MK3 sets of plans etc ot the older Book of the Quorn.

Very exhausting but readab;e and very informatuve

Hello Norman,

Thank you for that kind reminder. I actually already have purchased the plans a while ago. As things go, I did not study them in depth.
Will have a look tomorrow.

Greetings Timo

I just looked at the Quorn kit. $875 US dollars for a kit which would require a lot of metric taps, dies etc which I do not have and a motor using 220 volts. Probably not in my future. Even if I live to 100 that only leaves me 19 years to justify that type of investment.

If you are making it for yourself there is no need t o buy metric taps, just adjust the threaded features to taps you do have. Likewise a a 120v motor, even a 12v DC motor, can be substituted for 220v motor.

[Deketed

Computer was playing up and I have major eye problems from macular degeration from extreme old age

Last edited:
I've only 9 yrstds to thr 100-- but who cares? I have a Mk1 already and now a Mk3 kit at £625.
It all dpends on what you want to sharpen and what you are prepared to spend but I would look at the Bonelle which does not use castings. Again re motors any small 1/5th HP ACone which will run at 28880 rpm will be ideal but I ran mine on a 1440 one which came out of a scrap washing machine. The Pulleys are just altered:)
Get the Bonelle plans free from the 'net and buy Chaddocks book as a guide

Norman
I could cash in some of the bitcoin offers which get rerouted to my spam folder. All I have to do is supply my bank account information and it will be deposited directly to my account. What I really have a problem understanding is why most of these offers are in Dutch. I don't talk Dutch but I know enough to get the general idea.

I can only apologise.
I have macular degeeration and have now found that my computer was playing up. My sight is made worse by the need for very bright light.
Sorry.

Greetings Timo

I'm wondering about finding an equivalent machine.
Wondering if the 'tool grinding machine' is enough.

How did you find your model?

TIA

My word jumble apart,
The Maek1 book and drawings are almost essentially Inoerial and I do recall what was probaly metric in the form of a British Association part( yes it is!)
Two of my former club members masde uo- and IMHO improved the design. I wrote on that subject SEVERAL times in the past.
To the serious would be constructer, there are - or were Mark2 castings which would allow for a 5C collet alteration. It is there - in the USA. Again, I have already written on that and also my comments about Deckel clone parts available on E-Bay---- and STILL ARE!
With regard to the well established difficulty about voltages, my original motor was a 13440 rpm 1/4HP 230/250 V scrap motor out of a washing mashing whereas now it was replaced with a garage door motor of 2880rpm and 1/6th HP 250V AC. A similar motor whuch had the rreduction gears stripped out was passed to BaronJ along with a rather large number of Mk1 Quorn bits. For those who want suitable motors but where different voltages exist should be a mental problem rather than a real one.
Again, repeating myself for the umpteenth time the original Derek Brooks simplified Stent ex Clarkson was 'motivated' by a 1/4?6mm wood router unit.

Again, if someone wants a less versatile but quite impressive non-English tool, the Acute one from Eccentric tools in Australia has plans enabling one to be made with a cheap Chinese double ended grinder and apart from a few fasteners and Bristo; clamps can come from the scrap box and the UK plans are a mere £20 here.

I must conclude by raising serious doubts on would be or wont be constructors appearing here.

Bluntly, what the Hell more do you want from the excellreny contributions from other successful builders?

Please, moderators, close the topic

Rgank you

Norman

Mr Norman - - - - - some of us are using the topic for surrounding and/or applicable knowledge.

If the topic offends you - - - - please just ignore it and allow the rest of us who are using it for whatever purpose to continue such.

TIA

Last edited:
I'm wondering about finding an equivalent machine.
Wondering if the 'tool grinding machine' is enough.

How did you find your model?

TIA

Hello,

I did not really search for it, I was asked if I would be interested.
It seemed interesting, so I checked it out because it was only 5 min away.
Then it was more impulse buy and curiosity than needing to grind a particular tool.

Similar style machines will travel under the name "tool grinder".
"universal grinder" "tool and cutter grinder"?

Machines I found since the thread was sarted or knew before.
Bonelle, Mini Bonelle, Deckel D-bit grinder, Cincinatti No1, Deckel S1, DeckelS11, and more. You will find them all in the thread.

Here are more ideas:

https://www.cnccookbook.com/diy-tool-and-cutter-grinder-idea-notebook/
Another diy project, that looks amazing.
http://www.metallmodellbau.de/MINI_BONELLE_II.php
You will also find "sub assemblies" from china.
1623677994610.png

Greetigs Timo

For the English and the Welsh, there is a Geo. Alexander Deckel clone on HomeWorkshop.co. UK
Son of the late John Dtevenson- site owner. It is a single lip grinder.

Priced at £450 and with lots of collets. Bolection only

N

Back