Layout ink in Canada?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazylathe

Reaction score
Hi,

I have searched for layout ink online and found a few places that will sell 10 5L jugs of the stuff!!
That would last me more that a lifetime!!!

Does anyone know where i can find hobby sized bottles of this magic liquid in Canada?
I asked at Home Depot and the guy took me to the Chalk Marker!!LOL!!
Not quite...

Andrew

go to to your local STUFF Mart or office supply store and buy a huge fat permanent marker I have had good luck with Marksalot brand. Mrs falcon got me a big sharpie when the other dried out but the cutting oil washes off the marker.

get a couple of
Avery Dennison Avery® Marks-A-Lot® Jumbo Permanent Marker, Black

a half pint of blue dykem from Travers tool will cost you over ten bucks us after shipping you should be able to get the markers for about $2.50 each and they should last a few years if you keep the cap on while not in use.

Ackland Granger, Weber supply, any other small industrial supply store near you. I have picked it up the Starrett blue dye, it comes in a small bottle with applicator brush.
Bryan

Andrew, I'll echo Tin on the permanent marker; I use it most of the time. You can also get bottles of refill ink for permanent markers from stationers; I use this, brushed onto the workpiece with a bit of toilet/kitchen paper for larger areas (toilet paper is cheaper, and it is worthwhile to have a couple of rolls handy in the shop ;D). My normal cutting fluid does not wash the ink off, but the tapping fluid I use do, so I always just punch mark all the hole locations before starting machining; if the ink then washes off, the punch marks remain.

Kind regards, Arnold

Thanks for the replies!
Permanent markers of the FAT kind sounds like they will fit the bill perfectly!!
Off to STAPLES to see what loot i can find!

Busy Bee Tools sell it. Part # 66001 340 gm for $11,99.

I mostly use the marking pens, or cans of spray paint from the dollar store for large areas, but - a perfectly acceptable lay out fluid can be made by disolving the ink out of a blue Biro pen, and a few flakes of shellac, in a couple of ounces of methylated spirits.

At work I use layout fluids and markers from Dykem.

At home I get them from Walmart.
LayoutMarker.jpg

Rick

lazylathe said:
Thanks for the replies!
Permanent markers of the FAT kind sounds like they will fit the bill perfectly!!
Off to STAPLES to see what loot i can find!

I like the brush on ink for really large items but at the suggestion of everyone here I tried a permanent marker for the first time last week and its so much easier to use with less mess I will now be using it on all small items. It does rub off easier than the real stuff but thats not really a problem.

I have used a solution of copper sulphate in water which when brushed or rubed on with a rag will copper plate the surface of steel and scribed lines stand out quite well.

Brian

4wheels said:
I have used a solution of copper sulphate in water which when brushed or rubed on with a rag will copper plate the surface of steel and scribed lines stand out quite well.

Brian

Wow, thats real old school.
I'm sure I read about it in one of my books from the 1920s but I've never actually tried it.

I'm not that old!! but is is a remnant of info from times past.

Brian
65yrs young

4wheels said:
I'm not that old!! but is is a remnant of info from times past.

Brian
65yrs young

Sorry I didn't mean you were old just that technique is old.
I've read about it but never heard of anyone using it before.

If it works, why change.

No problem - just joking. Sometimes I feel too old but then again I enjoy being the child that never grew up.

Coles Power Models has "Steel Blue Markout/Layout Dye" for US$5.50. They also have dye remover for US$3.25.

Latest posts

Back