Shop layout, necessities

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got asymptotically infinite enjoyment from my Sherline lathe and mill. Yes they have little envelopes, but you can do a lot of very accurate machining.

For one and odd years my shop was the second bedroom in our 649 sqft 2 bedroom 2nd floor apartment. I had to pack the lathe and mill in the closet. They would come out of the closet in the weekends. I would meticulously clean afterwards.

Anastasia was very cool with that, as long as I cleaned up. (Now we are in a different place, but I still have to clean the garage up very quickly).

Alexander from Brazil has a similar arrangement. Many many hobbyists do tabletop machining.

take care,
tom in MA

My goal is to obtain a Sherline mill and lathe, though I haven't decided yet if I want them to be CNC right away or converted later...(can they run be run manually after they're made into CNC? Without reconverting to manual?)
you should have no worries mate. you do not need industrial electric circuits for Sherline they are home machines. make yourself at home with them. Seig machines will work fine too as will Taig.
You will have space and an outlet that is all you realy need to get started. yes tools and workbench

Tin

Rayanth said:
Apparently, according to my girlfriend, and something that is entirely news to me - there are "other hobbies out there"... I can't tell if she's pulling my leg, or actually being serious.

Contemplating getting back into r/c cars and planes and possibly boats. Could certainly do THOSE things on one outlet without access to the circuit breaker. (or even in the house if I really must) .. it will satisfy the itch to build something, until I can save up to buy a house, or rent a better place or something ;D

I won't go anywhere, and I'll still touch that R-4360 design project from time to time, but other things demand my attention and time, and it probably isn't the best time to be starting down this road.

- Ryan
The tiny R/C Blade helicopters can be flown in the living room quite nicely!

ttrikalin said:
I got asymptotically infinite enjoyment from my Sherline lathe and mill. Yes they have little envelopes, but you can do a lot of very accurate machining.

For one and odd years my shop was the second bedroom in our 649 sqft 2 bedroom 2nd floor apartment. I had to pack the lathe and mill in the closet. They would come out of the closet in the weekends. I would meticulously clean afterwards.

Anastasia was very cool with that, as long as I cleaned up. (Now we are in a different place, but I still have to clean the garage up very quickly).

Alexander from Brazil has a similar arrangement. Many many hobbyists do tabletop machining.

take care,
tom in MA
If you look closely at the pictures in the magazines, and the videos of Rudy Kouhoupt he did all of his work in his tiny breezeway of his little house on a 9" South Bend, and I don't recall what mill he had. There were never any chips visible. He did magnificent work!

Hey Ryan,

The Sherline will do well in a bedroom or spare room ...really.

Don't be dismayed...or dissuaded

.....there Bob....I spelled that better didn't I ::)

Dave

steamer said:
.....there Bob....I spelled that better didn't I ::)

Dave

Oh my, I'm so glad my post wasn't waisted.

Best Regards
Bob

If you look closely at the pictures in the magazines, and the videos of Rudy Kouhoupt he did all of his work in his tiny breezeway of his little house on a 9" South Bend, and I don't recall what mill he had. There were never any chips visible. He did magnificent work!
Rudy was an amazing guy: I miss him he treated me like a friend. Rudy had a small shed shop in his yard a mere 98 square feet. Most places in the US do not tax or regulate under 100 square feet. Most folk would consider 8' x 12 ft small but hat is what Rudy had. Many of Rudys Early projects were done on a Unimat and a small Perris Lathe. Some of the milling was done on the unimat.
In later years projects were done on a Sherline . yes Rudy had a 9" south bend but from what I have seen published much of what he did was on much smaller machines.
I have a friend that I know from the Cabin fever show. He does fantastic work on his Sherline.
As the Sherline site states Think big machine small.
tin

Ryan

I hope you haven't gone away.
Stick with it. My first lathe was a AA109 and my homemade mill....it was set up in a third floor apartment of a 3 decker bedroom that was too small for anything else. The mill column was filled with concrete to stiffen it up. I mixed and poured the concrete in the kitchen!....

You may say what was I thinking!......I would answer...I was thinking " I can do this".....so can you.

Stick with it.

Dave

Ray the biggest part of this and likely any other endeavor is want to . Craftsmanship can take many forms and scales. Do not let others take your dreams.
Tin

Do not let others take your dreams.

Amen Brother!

NEVER.......EVER!

I'm not intending to disappear entirely from the scene, I'm just concerned about the situation of my present place. And I aim to be here a while, so the easiest way to make sure I don't get in trouble is to not go and try to cause any.

My next major life goal is a rental or purchased house. On my present income it's technically feasible but the current economy makes it impossible. Rather than throw a bunch of money into equipment I'm afraid to use, I feel it's prudent to save that money towards a house, and stick with less expensive hobbies in the meantime.

I have always valued all of the input you fine folks have given me, and aim to continue to lurk around, and still work on the 4360 CAD from time to time.

- Ryan

Back