Lathes & shapers and no OSHA..

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was facinated by the pre computer "CNC Machines" for duplicating parts.

Joe

Thanks for posting the link. Very informative. :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Thanks for that,amazing.And here I am faffing about with bits of 1/16th brass :big:

JackG said:
I was facinated by the pre computer "CNC Machines" for duplicating parts.

Called tracer machines a stylus is pusher around the pattern and machine reproduces the moves.You can see it in the oxy cutting out blanks.
I actually ran a tracer for some time back in my early years. Nothing this big though.The company I work for had several 3 spindle tracers and a couple 2 spindles.

I was fasanated by this website thanks for posting this Joe.

Great stuff Joe! :bow:

Would the fact that both Doc and I have both seen and operated tracer machines
make them seem more recent, or would it just prove our age? scratch.gif

Rick

now that was way cool to see all that stuff. i was into how they where working the cranks really looked hard at those pic . thank you for posting this up. very good stuff there

th_confused0052 WOW that is some serious machining. Not a pair of safety glasses in sight. ;D
Rob.....

Did you guys see the photo of the shrink fitting of the crank?

Talk about a hot job!

Dave

I don't know Dave, but I don't see any heat source around to heat those webs. Plus that one guy seems to be awful close with his shirt sleeves rolled up.

Just guessing here, but it looks like they are pinned once assembled or maybe welded?

Bernd

If you roll over the picture it says shrink fit ......maybe the person posting it got it wrong?

Dave

robwilk said:
th_confused0052 WOW that is some serious machining. Not a pair of safety glasses in sight. ;D
Rob.....
There wasnt a pair of safety glasses ever made that would work on the crank web shaper chips. ;D

I enjoyed that,it was great to see those guys making them little engines :big:Those were the days, when we used to make things.Sent the link to my Brother,he said it was the best bit of info I ever sent him so that's 2 people happy.
Don

Lookit those big, beautiful Cincinnati shapers. Big beautiful everything!
I've worked in two shops where we had what the other guys called tracers. We called them
pantograph flame cutters. Same difference I'm sure.
One shop I know of still uses ticker tape lathes, too.

Deanofid said:
One shop I know of still uses ticker tape lathes, too.

what is a ticker tape lathe?

I ran a 30 hp 3 spindle ticker tape machine for the first couple years of my machine shop experience.
They were always a treat reader would get a speck of dirt and away it would go ripping through the part where it wasn't suppose to go.
I ran parts that weighed in at about 250lbs and when I was done machining on them they came off weighing just over 20lbs. Those were the days just let the chips fly!

After my 2 years on that machine I went into training for the tooling and proto type shop where I spent the majority of my time until about 7 years ago I went into cad design designing large (mostly) hydraulic fixtures most of them about 250 inches long with about 200 various clamps.

Anyway I enjoyed that link and have bookmarked it.

Back