Lathe recommendations in Canada?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazylathe

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking for a metal lathe and am a bit lost at the moment.
The problem is i am quite fond of old machines and do not have any problems restoring them and working with them. The only issue is sometimes finding spares.
I look at Busy Bee Tools and they have a 10x18 lathe on sale, but then i wonder about the quality of the Craftex brand.

Alos would like to stay around the $1000 area if possible.

I would like to make some small engines but will use it mostly to make parts for pens that i make. So it need to be able to cut threads with it.

If anyone has any info on good places on the internet to look at machines, please let me know.
I have also been searching through the adds on Kijiji for good condition, used machines.
There is a nice Myford ML7, but the guy wants $2000 for it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

King Canada makes a nice 10 X 20 which is basically the same as the Grizzly G0602. Check out he latter's user group for details.

Machine Tool Warehouse in Guelph is also carrying lathes of about the same size now.

Finally Sherline and Taig are both readily available.

Good Luck

Thanks for the reply and the info!

I already have a long bed Sherline, but am looking for something with a bit more power and auto feed.

Any ideas on a Myford ML7?
I have the chance to get a single owner lathe with all original documents and in excellent condition for $1500.
Do any of the pros think this would be a good investment??

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I have a Myford ML7 but also have some experience with the Chinese stuff. I would go for the Myford every time. They are not the cheapest but you really do get what you pay for.

Cheers

Rich

I have a Sherline long bed as well as the 10 X 22 I mentioned. I wouldn't go for the Busy Bee as it only has a 3/4 HP motor and I don't think you'll notice a huge improvement. The 10 X 20 at 1 HP has lots of power.On the other hand, Let me know if you don't but the Myford :)

I would really love to own the Myford ML7, but there is a barrier!!! :(

The wife says i can only spend the money i have for stuff that i have sold! :rant:
So i only have $1000 to spend...
So to combat the empty area in my workshop that would fit the Myford in perfectly, i have printed off a picture of it and that will have to do for now! :-\

I will keep looking and hopefully i will find something in the near future!
Or the guy may reduce his price more to be in my range!!
Wishful thinking.... *bang*

Thanks for all the info guys!!
If anyone has any more links to places that sell hobby sized lathes in Canada, that would be great!

Andrew

I looked at quite a few used lathes before I realized that most of the stuff out there needs professional help. I didn't even know how to run one, much less go through a used one to get it up to specs. And locating expensive parts like a replacement for a worn or chipped gear could become a major set back for example.

I bought a 9x20 that's identical to the one that Busy Bee sells. And I would not hesitate to buy another one if my shop flooded or some one stole it. I consider it an ideal size for building small model engines, and with a 3/4 hp motor thats all I need. Parts are easy to come by since there are plenty of suppliers that sell this lathe and the parts. I recently found out that there's a Yahoo group strictly for owners of this model lathe. A few years ago I became so attached to my 9x20 that I bought many spare parts including two of every change gear. I'm even thinking of picking one up and leaving it crated. Or I might even consider a used one.

I would also love to have the most expensive lathe ever built, but I all honesty I really don't need it.

-MB

Six months ago I was right where MB is. I had a 9x20 and used it for a number of years and got reasonably good at making parts (for me) with it. I also wanted an old lathe in good shape but did not have the experience to evaluate one.

A friend of mine who is quite experienced in machining put me onto a used Logan 6 months ago so I knew it was in good shape. Then I discovered what I had been missing. Back gear, clutch feed and being able to nest the tailstock into the apron. These are nice, but not essential features.

I sold the 9x20 but I still have a Grizzly G0602 lathe (10x22). Both the Grizzly and Logan are enjoyable to use and I wouldn't want to part with either (that's a pun :big:). I consider myself extremely lucky in acquiring the Logan. But spare parts are fairly expensive. So I keep the Grizzly since it is a good machine, parts are available at relatively low cost and it has features my Logan does not. I don't like cutting threads with it because at its slowest speed (150 rpm) I have trouble getting good results. But that's me, others do quite well with it.

Good luck

Phil

Hi…Andrew

This link is to a Canadian supplier in Quebec.
They sell a version of the 10X22 with variable speed drive which I would put high on my wish list.
They sell it very well tooled.
I purchased my mill from them and was happy with the service and the machine.
My mill came very well equipped with a good starter set of tooling.

Regards ...Bert

http://www.garantmachinerie.com/en/

I'll also say Garant Machinery is a good company. Ask for Y'ves, He's a great guy to deal with. I special ordered a lathe thru them and the whole process was really easy. The shipping from Quebec to B.C. was a pain but that had nothing to do with Garant.

Pete

Thanks for all the help. it is really appreciated!

I am waiting for prices from Garant Machinery before i make a decision.

I am also looking at an excellent condition 9" Standard Modern UtiLathe.
It looks great but i also have to take into consideration how heavy the beast is!

So many decisions to make.... ;D

I used a standard modern in USAF Tech school would love one in the home shop
I do like the vintage south bend though.
The SM is probably a little lighter.
Tin

Hi .. Andrew

In your original post you indicated most of your work was focused on the smaller end of the scale.
Have you considered the 7x 12 mini lathes at all? They can be surprisingly capable in good hands.
Have a look around this fellow Canuck’s site, and check out his CRAFTEX to see what I mean about capable hands.
http://www.modelengines.info/
Micro mart is offering a 16 inch version now which would be a nice asset.
The big advantage of these little guys is, all their faults are well documented, and the associated remedies are readily available all over the net.
LMS has tons of tooling goodies and accessories just for these little beasts. Not to mention spare parts, as in every part, up to and including the lathe bed.
The same holds true, but to a lesser degree regarding the 9x19/20 lathes.
The bulk of these 9x lathes are clones of an EMCO Compact 8 which originated in Austria in the early 70’s.

Beware the siren call of “Old American Iron” it can be an expensive road to go down. Been there, don’t necessarily want to go back. Traded my South Bend for CHIA-CO and….I got the better deal.
I am in a better position today knowledge wise so I would not make the same mistakes. With older iron you may have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your Princess.
I personally have agonised over moving up a notch or two my self. I have chased my tail quite a bit, but I find if I am honest with my self, my wants and needs are not necessarily the same.
The lathe I have does every thing I need to do. The biggest limitation I find with my 7x12 is the spindle bore. If it had a little more bore I would be one happy dude.

Good luck with your hunt…. Bert

P.S Speaking of American Iron I don’t know where in On. you are but have a look at Craigs list Detroit Logan lathe

Thanks again for all the suggestions and ideas and links!

At the moment i am looking at everything i can find and seeing what will work out best.
On the one hand i really love the older tools!
Just getting spares can be a major problem!
I have an old Atlas table saw from the 40's and it is amazing!
I was looking at some Atlas lathes, some have good reviews others not so good.
At one stage i was hoping to get a collection of atlas tools, but that may be unreasonable!

Back to lathes i do like some of the newer models and i especially like the idea of having spares at my beck and call!
There is just the allure of something that has stood the test of time...
Sentimental at best i know!

The one that has my heart is the Myford ML7 Heavy Duty.
I have attached a picture of the lathe for sale for you to see the condition of the lathe.
Original parts and paint, only used to make some model trains.
What do you think it is worth??

Andrew

Myford2-2.jpg

Andrew, if this a one owner lathe, and is-as-good as-it looks you might not ever find another like it. Condition is everything. I re-read this entire thread and it sounds like you want it badly. You will have to live with what-ever choice you make for a long time, so trying to save a buck now might haunt you latter on. You can buy a new import machine any time, any place, but you haven't. The answer to why is within yourself.

Whats it worth? The buyer will know the answer to that. And if you should end up being the buyer, it will be worth more than you paid.

-MB

Thanks for that MB!

It is a one owner lathe and it looks even better in person!
Runs quiet, all the bits are there.
The ways look like they have never seen dirt, not a chip or pit in sight.
all actions are smooth and precise, no play or anything.

It was used mainly for brass and cleaned and oiled after each use and covered when not in use.

The owner wants $1700 for it, but will drop it to $1500 for me.
It is about $500 out of my budget and that is about the only thing that is stopping me from calling him again.
I know it is worth it and will last me a lifetime and i will be able to sell it again one day to someone in need.

I will mull it over for another day or so...

Andrew

Hi Andrew

It looks to be a sweet hunk of iron!!
What it is worth that simple….. It is worth what you are willing to pay.
In any deal there are usually 3 prices to consider. The ask price, your bid price, and the price your willing to lose it for.
Patience is a virtue when it comes to shopping for something like a lathe. In most cases there are not a lot of potential buyers.
However high quality (Not CHINA CO) hobby size lathes are not too common.

How well tooled is it? Do a little research regarding the must have tooling that your previous experience has taught you that you need.
For example a 4 jaw, do you need one? What will it cost?
You have to figure transportation into the ‘What’s it worth equation” because
something as heavy as a lathe will cost a sum to crate and transport, not to mention the potential for damage.

Regards…. Bert

PS At that price........You should go to confession after you close the deal!!!

lazylathe said:
Thanks for that MB!

The owner wants $1700 for it, but will drop it to $1500 for me.
It is about $500 out of my budget and that is about the only thing that is stopping me from calling him again.
I know it is worth it and will last me a lifetime and i will be able to sell it again one day to someone in need.

I will mull it over for another day or so...

Andrew

$1500.!!! Your lucky I don't own a pick-up truck! You know, I'm only 5 hours drive away. I don't need it, but at that price I could just look at it sitting in my shop. ;D

The price of comparable imports is not that much less, and you need to add the PST, GST, LSD, And whatever other tax they can dream up. Oh and don't forget the shipping unless you pick it up locally. :big:

I gotta get down to the shop and do something today.

Andrew, I wish you the best in what ever you decide.

-MB

buy the best old machine you can manage ,you wont be disapointed ,the myford sounds like a real nice tool and thats the way i would go .
As to bits ,they only seem to break when abused ,i would have to try very hard to break anything on my 40 year old lathe i can assure you .
As to limitations ,they seemed to do some fine work on the machines before all the stuff from asia became available ,just look at some of the locos and stuff ................

Back