Lathe opinions needed.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Rus

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have done a lot of research and need some specific help.

Here's the deal, I need a lathe to make some parts in my dad's woodworking shop (industrial shop) but also want the capability to make engines as well.

The parts are not real big (biggest one is about 3' long and a few inches in diameter) and fairly small (odd nut and bolt sized parts that are fairly simple). They need to be quite acurate, a thou or so.

What's a good size? Where the shop is leased there is a metal fabrication shop that has a Jet 13x40 lathe that they don't use and want to get rid of it (aka, sell) and it's seems to be tight, will get my machinist friend to check it out thoroughly though.

He already said that he recomends a good import for a starter machine because they are easier to use and have bells and whistles that make life much easier for the novice and experienced alike. What's your opinion?

What are the limitations on this lathe if any for engine building something like an 100cc or so V8 (ultimately that's what I want to build).

Would I be better off with old iron (I think he'll take about $1500 or so with out the 4 jaw chuck.) for the same price as an import?

The lathe is from 1970 (I will double check that though) but hasn't seen much use, looks just like the new Grizzly version.

Am I better off with a smaller new machine? Or save up for a new 13x40 lathe?

I have 3 phase power and enough room for even a large lathe like a 20"x96" so that's not an issue.

I comes with basic tooling, some carbide insert stuff as well.

My budget right now is about $1500 but if you guys thing I will be better off saving and buying something better I can do that as well, trying not to spend more that $3000 though.

Currently there isn't anything in my area that is as good for the same price import or domestic so I will keep you posted if one pops up (checking CR twice a day).

I live about 10/15 minutes from Grizzly so customer support is very convinient with them (they have been good to me so far).

Any thing else I need to know just give a shout!

Thanks a bunch,
John.

The Jet may be a good choice if you can get it for 1500 bucks (or less), but if I understood your post, you also want to turn wood?

John

I don't need too turn wood just metal parts for the machines, they can get very expensive and they are not complicated to make (German made parts ya know.). And of course engines....:)

I may turn wood just for the heck of it but thats not the thrust for getting a lathe.

You brang up a good point, what's a good price to pay for the lathe?

John.

Last edited:
The Jet is an ideal size for making parts for the shop. Might be a tad too large for the models, a smaller lathe would probably be more comfortable for that purpose, but doable on the Jet.

Keep in mind you can make small parts on a large lathe, but not large large parts on a small lathe.

Bill

Go for it if the machine checks out OK. As has been said buying too small is a much bigger problem than buying to big. For model making, especially really small parts you might want a smaller lathe to benefit from a faster spindle but you can cross that river when you come to it. Note that is assuming this lathe has a rather low top speed on the spindle, each machine is a little different, but generally they are slow compared to a small bench top lathe. One thing worth checking is the top slide, ideally that would have tee slots along with the compound mounting area.

By the way you should have a four jaw chuck for your lathe, especially for maintenance type work. It isn't a big deal if it isn't included but I would certainly try to include it in the deal. Either way, consider this, you will likely double your purchase price, maybe better than double, equipping the lathe and you tool box to use it. If it doesn't come with one, you will need a decent $$$$ tool post. Then comes tooling, measuring tools and other toolbox joys.

Latest posts

Back