Lathe Drive

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drei

Reaction score
I have a weiss lathe http://www.weiss.com.cn/products/wmp250v.php and when i set some heavy cut the v belt drive starts slipping and eventually the spindle will almost stop turning. I know that the belt is slipping because while cutting the rev counter reduces speed drastically and after removing the back cover I noticed that the pulleys were very hot.

I was thinking to replace the pulleys with either larger v belt pulley or else replace then with toothed belt pulleys. Which one will be most adequate, the v belt will allow some slippage in case that bad things happen... any opinions please

Andrei

Have you tried adjusting the motor position slightly further away to tension the belt a bit more, it may be slack. I have a 280 and don't get any slipping.

The heat is likely to be due to teh belt slipping.

J

yes i have tried, i also dismantled the drive assembly cleaned it and assemble it again to remove any dirt or oil. But sitt it slips due to some cuts....:/

Andrei

My lathe does not have a plastic gear, they are all metal so the few times I got slippage was from trying to take too deep cut for what the machine was designed for (currently my lathe has a .75HP motor but my xmas present to myself is a 3HP\VFD upgrade) so I consider the belt to be a safety device of sorts.

As you said "when i set some 'heavy' cut", I believe therein lies your problem.

My 2 pesos,
Chazz

Latest posts

Back