Late Introduction, Portland OR

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starnovice

Reaction score
After seeing several people admonished for not introducing themselves and saying to myself "Yeah, you guys should introduce yourself!" Today I got to wondering what I said in my introduction. Guess what, I could not find my intro. :eek: :Doh:

So, I am from Portland, Oregon. I moved back here after my wife and I retired from the Air Force. We were married before we joined and we both retired as Captains. Professionally I am a software engineer.

I got started in home shop machining about 13 years ago when I thought I wanted to make lenses for my telescope. In researching machining I discovered the Dave Linsey series of books and was hooked. I built the lathe, shaper and 90% of the milling machine. Then one day I realized that I had lost my way. I didn't want to build tools, I wanted to use tools to build things.

So I bought a HF mini-lathe and mini-mill. The mini-mill I later converted to cnc (darn building machines again).

Before I got anything significant built I got involved with the GEARS Model Engineering show here in Portland. That combined with several back surgeries have reduced my home shop machining productivity.

I do have 4 wobbler engines that were sold by GEARS finished and at last count 3 other engines in shoe boxes waiting to be finished.

Currently I am finishing a re-modeling of my CNC mini-mill and have started a Jemma 7 cylinder radial. I started this because I thought the repetition would make it a good CNC project. This is my first IC and that scares the pants off of me but I have a very strong local support group that promises they will help me get it up and running.

Sorry to be so long introducing myself, but here I am.

Last edited:
Better late than never. Sounds like you are busy in retirement

Star......salutations! I think being self taught is a complement here. There are people with years of skills and knowledge! What they create is art!

Welcome Starnovice. Good to have you on board.

Cheers,
Phil

Latest posts

Back