knuckle head gueston

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodue

Project of the Month Winner!
Reaction score
On the crank shaft gear, on the gear box side it shows to reduce to 5/16, the small gear is reamed to match leaving very small edge distance I was thinking on cutting the crankshaft to 1/4 D. ,or is it best to go a head and ream the gear.

I was concerned about the same thing. So, I combined the two short crankshaft gears into one single longer (steel) gear and then secured it to the crankshaft with a pair of pins carefully drilled through pairs of opposing teeth. If you are going to try to use an electric start, the stock thin brass hub might be a problem, but then turning down the crankshaft isn't too appealing either especially if you've already turned it. It's a pretty long run to the cover bearing and a skinnier crankshaft is more likely to take on run out along the way.

You should start a build thread. I'm impressed with your cast cases and would like to follow your progress. It will also be easier for others to answer questions if you have pictures of what you're asking about. - Terry

Terry I am working on the push rod assembly, like the print, I still think a square broach hole would work as good and less abt to fail. Your work is beyond good its excellent and you have stuck to the drawing. If mine ever runs it won't look like yours. Bob

Back