KBC Mill question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_Eickschen

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used KBC milling machine, model VM-22-R8. There are two separate Drive belts that operate it and I'm certain the previous owner has the wrong ones on here. I'm curious to know if anyone else on here has the same Mill and could tell me these belt sizes. I've contacted the supplier and they sent me a very crude user's manual that did not have the information I'm looking for.
Thanks in advance for the help

Tim

Unfortunately i don't have machine nor manual but im wondering if there are readable part numbers on the old belts. If you can get the manufactures name and number it is pretty easy to find out what are the next stocked sizes plus and minus.

This assumes they have the right cross section belt. If that is wrong you have more work ahead of you and thus the help of another owner would work out better.

Tim,

Some thoughts occur:

You can also attempt to measure your belt size by running some twine around the pulleys and marking the length, some careful measurement will get the profile. Draw up the cross-section of the pulley profile and/or the belt.

1. Are your belts V-belts? A lot of older, established hardware stores, farm implement dealers, and auto-parts stores have devices to measure existing belts, then consult their source information to find one closer to the size you need. Some suppliers even have cross-referencing data available (Yes, I found the belt I needed for a 30-year-old off-brand washing machine in a list with a current product part number)

OR

2. Once you have measured the distance around the pulleys, consult sources like McMaster-Carr or Grainger to see if they have something close.

OR

3. That looks like a mill also sold by other vendors (Grizzly?) Perhaps getting actual belt sizing information from one of those sources might help you narrow things down.

OR

4. Maybe one of the link-type belts can replace a V-belt, or someone sells a kit to make a custom belt (stranger things have happened.)

OR

5. Best approach is if someone has that mill and knows what the belts are, as has been mentioned. (I don't know for sure if this helps, but the "-R8" suggests that there are similar mills with other than a R8 spindle.)

Hope this spurs your creative juices.

--ShopShoe

Call them again and request a parts list. Their web page info says one was shipped with the machine so they should be able to provide you one.

1-800-521-1740

If they can't ship you or email you a parts list ask for the belt sizes.

Latest posts

Back