Just Getting Started, Part 2 (other hobbyist metalworking online groups?)

Discussion in 'General Engine Discussion' started by Rongee, Feb 10, 2019 at 6:31 PM.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Feb 10, 2019 at 6:31 PM #1

Rongee

Rongee

Rongee

Member HMEM Supporter

Hi,

I thought I'd ask individual questions in separate threads, rather than mix them together. I'm brand new here, so I hope I'm not stepping on any rules.

As I said, brand new here and just getting started. I've got a thread up in the Introductions that talks about my lack of, well, everything metalworking these days, but wanting to get started.

I'm trying to gather up resources to help me learn, so my first few questions are going to be about that.

Are there other metalworking online groups that would be good to be a part of as well? I'm learning a lot just searching the threads here, but there may be different perspectives in other groups as well. Maybe more general hobbyist metalworking sites?

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'm happy to do further legwork.

Thanks.

2. Feb 10, 2019 at 11:26 PM #2

Asm109

Asm109

Asm109

3. Feb 11, 2019 at 3:24 AM #3

Rongee

Rongee

Rongee

Member HMEM Supporter

Great, thanks for the info.

4. Feb 11, 2019 at 6:02 AM #4

kwoodhands

kwoodhands

kwoodhands

I'll also add Practical Machinist but remember this forum is for professional machinists. Do not ever mention a Chinese made machine. Taiwan, Japan , any other country of origin is fine. There are many sub-forums that are for particular discussions. Logan, South Bend, and many other machines have their own sub-forums. You can learn a lot from these posts. Make sure you read the discussion rules first.
    mike

5. Feb 11, 2019 at 12:41 PM #5

XD351

XD351

XD351

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

6. Feb 11, 2019 at 2:19 PM #6

Steve J

Steve J

Steve J

Try and find chicago model engineers online. Not sure if they have a website or not. President name of Ed Smurz i believe. Very active group and all in all a nice bunch. I am in michigan City and currently working on my tenth engine a 9 cyl radial

7. Feb 12, 2019 at 3:40 PM #7

58tux

58tux

58tux

Steve J

Could you please post some pictures of your radials, would like to see them.

Rich

8. Feb 13, 2019 at 2:27 PM #8

Steve J

Steve J

Steve J

Sorry Rich am not set up for pictures on this forum. Its the Hodgson 9 cyl Radial and there are lots of pictures out there if you do a web search. Once again sorry I cant help.

9. Feb 13, 2019 at 2:59 PM #9

kquiggle

kquiggle

kquiggle

You may be interested in looking at this page on my website:

https://sites.google.com/site/lagadoacademy/useful-links

When I first started getting into machining, I had many of the same questions. Of course there is a a wealth of information on the Internet (more than you could absorb in a lifetime!). Some of that information is good, and some (let's say) not so good. As I researched various sites on the Internet, I began to accumulate a lot of bookmarks. For my own benefit, I organized and annotated those bookmarks on the above link, and I published the list in the hope that others mind find it useful also.

Also, if you look at the bottom of the above page, you will find some advice on locating information from "dead" links.