John Deere Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm loving the progess reports Chuck!

Keep them coming!

Rick

I've been making a little more progress. Here are some pictures of the mostly assembled engine:

AlmostDone5.jpg

AlmostDone3.jpg

AlmostDone2.jpg

AlmostDone2.jpg

Once I get it running, I'll take it apart and paint it.

Chuck

I've been working on the air regulation design for several months now. The pistons on this engine are 180 degrees apart and operate in four stroke mode. This means that the engine fires twice in pretty quick succession then coasts for a full revolution before firing again.

The problem with a single valve to regulate the air is this. When the first piston fires, it uses up most of the pressure that has built up during the previous full revolution. When the second piston fires, there is no pressure left because its all been used up by the first piston. This wouldn't be a problem where all the pistons fire at even intervals during the cycles.

To get around the problem, I decided to use two regulators, one for each cylinder. That way, when one piston "fires", it won't use up all the press from the other side. At least that's the theory. Still got some work to do to get it running.

These regulators were made from 1/4" tee's with compression fittings. I drilled out the long side, then soldered in a brass rod which had been step drilled and threaded. The single leg of each tee will connect to the air inlet on the engine and the end opposite the control shaft will go to the high pressure air supply.

AlmostDone4.jpg

Very Very nice Chuck, that is one very nice little engine. Can't wait to see and here it run. Thanks for sharing it with us. Who do you buy your Pinion wire from?
Mel

Well, here's a preview of the almost finished engine running. I still have to take it apart and finish painting it. I also need to figure out how to get the aspect ratio right on the video. Anybody got any ideas on that?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Hcl9L9wlY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Hcl9L9wlY[/ame]

Chuck

That's a nice smooth running engine there, Chuck.
Nice job. It even sounds like an old JD "putt-putt" motor :D

Wait...

Is this a compressed air engine?? For some reason I thought it was going to be IC. Maybe it was the JD influence.

Very cool build. Even cool now!

Eric

As usual Chuck,

Great runner and looker.

A wonderful job.

John

Very nice Chuck. Great looking and great sound. :)
If you put a load on it and crank the pressure up I would bet that it would sound just like a "Poppin Johnny" working in the field. Sounds like one heading out to work now, and that's a great sound.
Congratulations on a well thought out design and implementation.
Gail in NM,USA

Being an antique engine collector as well as a hobby builder, I'm at a loss
for words here!

That is one fantastic engine Chuck! :bow:

Rick

Thanks for all the kind words, folks. Still have some parts to finish and paint to apply, but I'm already thinking about my next engine. I'm kind of liking the idea of an Anzani radial that runs on compressed air... or maybe a 3 cylinder fairbanks look-alike...

Chuck .............. just brilliant ............. 8) :bow:

CC

Chuck,

Absolutely Fabulous! Very Nice Looks, Sound and a great runner too ;D :bow:

-Bret

Chuck
Having been around those old B model John Deeres, it sounds as if you scaled its sound down, right along with the physical size. All that's missing is the signature random backfire that the bigger B model always seemed to enjoy. Excellent work!!!

Steve

The video is unfortunately dark ..You will make another video? I'd like to see in from the ends with better light....But she sounds sweet dont she? You punched that one out quick.

Chuck, love it and what a great job that is a lot of time that you have in it, I have been copy and posting, now I will go back a look, it there enough information on what you have already posted to make one from them or is there more needed, Love it, thanks for letting us see and learn, Lathe Nut

cfellows said:
Thanks for all the kind words, folks. Still have some parts to finish and paint to apply, but I'm already thinking about my next engine. I'm kind of liking the idea of an Anzani radial that runs on compressed air... or maybe a 3 cylinder fairbanks look-alike...

Anzani radial? Yer killing me Chuck. :big:

Brass_Machine said:
Anzani radial? Yer killing me Chuck. :big:

Might be a little beyond my abilities unless I want to make some castings!

Chuck

Latest posts

Back