Jethete??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domwells27

Reaction score
Hi

Has anybody got any experience with machining Jethete?

Got some hanging around at work which i will make a piston out of for my first engine (wobbler). This stock is already size on the OD and a snug fit in the cylinder, hence why i'm using it

Any advice?

many thanks

dom

Welcome Dom, wEc1. I do not know a great deal about Jethete but believe it contains a fair mount of nickel ??? ???. Don't know. As for using the material 'as found', is it truly round and what material is the cylinder itself made of? Different heat expansion factors come to mind here.

BC1
Jim

Thanks for the welcome :)

I'm following the plans available from the LMS website, so steel piston and aluminium cylinder. Cylinder was honed to 0.500" and the Jethete bar is a steady 0.500" all the way round at the moment.

Have yet to check the roundness but it is a great fit in the cylinder. When holding my finger over the intake and pulling out the piston it makes a nice 'pop' sound so i'm guessing it forms a nice seal.

AFAIK jethete is a variety of stainless steel so hoped it would be ok, as far as heat expansion was concerned.

Dom,

Welcome to our forum wEc1.

Best Regards
Bob

Jethete is a trade mark for steel to the spec M152 , it is air hardening to a UTS of around 65 tonnes and machines very well in its pre-hardened condition.

Latest posts

Back