jet metal lathes

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Chester 9*20 similar to many of the Chinese clones...

920_la4.jpg

I've modded mine with various enhancements including a variable speed drive using a Teco FM50 vfd and a 3ph motor....

Elf11:
first of all welcome second post and intro in the welcome section so we can have a better idea of you background interests and location .
and last but not least an answer to your question .
your dime your choice.
the grizzly looks like a better value and more capable machine. I do not see a lot of details posted about the jet.
one downside on the grizzly and upside for the jet is spindle nose thread. the 1-3/4 x8 spindle nose is an odd size the good thing is you have a 1'' spindle bore instead of the more common 3/4 bore do you expect to be able to use collets in the lathe.? the jet should handle 3-c collets. not sure about the grizzly.
Tin

I have the Jet 9X20 and it is a nice lathe. I like the 1-1/2 X8 thread as there is a lot available for it.
Ralph

Just bought my first Lathe Jet 9x20. I am looking to remove the 3 jaw chuck. I removed the set screw, attempted to use the tool provided to hold shaft, & a strap wrench on the chuck. Could not get it to budge. And the tool wants to strip out.

Just bought my first Lathe Jet 9x20. I am looking to remove the 3 jaw chuck. I removed the set screw, attempted to use the tool provided to hold shaft, & a strap wrench on the chuck. Could not get it to budge. And the tool wants to strip out.

The tool you refer to holds the spindle correct?

If so put the tool into the spindle and rotate the spindle so the tool is about 2 inches away from the ways.

Now holding the chuck twist the chuck/spindle so the tool whacks the ways and the chuck will pop loose. It won't hurt anything.

I think( I THINK) that the normal techniques suggested are no longer valid and more drastic methods are called for. Again, I would guess( I GUESS) that some malpractice has preceded all this. Maybe jammed swarf, maybe a burr on a spindle thread- who knows?

I would change the leverage to putting a piece of soft wood in three jaw at right angles to the length of the lathe bed and smartly hitting it with a hammer getting as much leverage as possible.

If you don't want to risk this, remove the jaws and get more leverage using a suitable wide piece of wood- as before.

It's all in the Sparey's The Amateurs Lathe and Sparey goes on to describe the possibility of having to turn the backplate off. I have done exactly that on a second hand Pools Major that had probably run for 4 years of war work without removing the 3 jaw! Further examination showed that the bed wear was so extensive that it wouldn't turn anything but bananas and it ended up in Lumsdens to have the bed reground. I digress- sorry!

The tool you refer to holds the spindle correct?

If so put the tool into the spindle and rotate the spindle so the tool is about 2 inches away from the ways.

Now holding the chuck twist the chuck/spindle so the tool whacks the ways and the chuck will pop loose. It won't hurt anything.

The odds of knocking a chunk out of the Number one shear are high. It's a hardened- and therefore somewhat brittle shear

Norman

jonesie, I have a 3 in 1, I really like it, another I did not need but wanted one, I bought mine off of Craig list only about 30 miles from home, I probably paid to much under 1,000 but got a lot of toys with it, fun to play with, Lathe Nut

Latest posts

Back