Jacobs Chucks made in Italy?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan2525

Reaction score
I bought a new 0-10mm Jacobs Keyless Chuck retails at about £40 but seller was selling off his new old stock, got it for £9.99 and was suprised to see it's made in Italy, Jacobs always used to be synonymous with quality and thought they were either made in the US or England?

While I don't know about your particular chuck, I have 3 keyless chucks. Two are Albrechst and one is an Italian made chuck.
I bought the Italian 1/32 to 1/2 inch chuck about 15 years ago. It is as smooth and accurate as my Albrecht and gets the most use. It was about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a new Albrecht at the time as I recall. If yours is as good as mine, you will like it.
Gail in NM, USA

I also have several Italian made keyless chucks, one I got from a firm not far from where I live (I live in Italy and this firm makes chucks among other things,including lathes, they're called COMEV)it's 0-10mm (yes 0!, it will hold a 0.2mm drill bit if you're patient to set it properly!) it's superbly made, there are a lot of small firms struggling to keep up with imported stuff here, and Italians are damn good engineers, they make beautiful machines, some stuff comparable (CNC included) to your Hitachis etc.

One thing I might add though, is the fact that there is still no law that says "MADE IN ITALY" can only be stamped on things "entirely", or even partly, made in Italy, so as a consequence, there's a lot of stuff (mostly clothing, Prada. Gucci etc.)that can be farmed out to Bulgaria or somewhere (China included BTW) which comes back with "Italian made" written on it!, I'll say no more as I'd like to continue reading and writing posts here!

Giles

Nope can't Lew, but I can say Ferrari :big: :big:

I can attest though that the Italians are excellent engineers, but they can't paint or chrome plate. It's only just recently that Magneti Marelli have got their fingers out in the electrical area. Bought a Moto Guzzi Le Mans years ago and after stripping EVERYTHING and having it repainted and re chromed and remaking lots of bits in Stainless Steel, got it to look and run like it should have. Good ol' Italian iron.
Regards Ian.

Circlip said:
Nope can't Lew, but I can say Ferrari
Regards Ian.

:) Well my fingers were going like a F1 one down a long straight and missed one r . :)
Anyway lots of examples of excelent Italian engineering.
...lew...

Mcgyver,

It doesn't show the only Rolls-Royce design from the Pininfarina studio. I helped built well over a hundred of them, great to look at, a total disaster to make. Every body part had to be made to fit, even the doors from side to side could be up to 1" in length difference. They were made to fit the body by the bodybuilders, we had then to try to fit smaller parts onto a bigger door. Every piece on the body came as a rough part, it was then manipulated into position and trimmed, drilled, welded, beaten, bent and stretched to fit. With a team of about 10 hand builders we only ever got to about 2.5 cars per week. Sometimes less than one per week, it just depended how far the the bodies were out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Camargue

John

Back