I've reached my limit!!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Of room, that is. My machine shop was originally a small "annex" off the end of my design office. When I bought my lathe 3 or 4 years ago, I built a wall and added a door to keep the lathe in. And just like Topsy, it grew---and grew---and GREW!!!! The room is 73" x 78" inside. Now I have a lathe, a mill, a bandsaw, a belt sander, a drill sharpener, and a shop vac, along with a storage rack and a tool cupboard all sharing that space. I'm a big guy, topping 250 pounds. When I get in there, I have sufficient room to work, but there is no danger of being distracted by a housefly---There wouldn't be room for one. ;D ;D
BRIANMACHINESHOP002.jpg

MOREMACHINESHOP001.jpg

MOREMACHINESHOP002.jpg

Time to remodel the home. :)

Seriously, sometimes, having everything within reach is a blessing.

Limits are for expanding! I have to do it all the time!

Brian,
I see lot's of room left, That window and ceiling aren't being used ;D Seriously though, if you built a U shaped bench going around the room with lots of drawers you'd have a lot more space. Put the mill in one of the corners to use up what is normally wasted and unusable space. That won't work of course if you work on fairly long parts.

Pete

Parkinsons Law - Work expands to fit the available schedule...

Harold's corollary #1 to Parkinson's Law - Projects expand to fit the available room...

Solution - remove the window and expand outside unless it is winter, in which case it not allow that. Otherwise see corollary #2

Corollary #2 - Work expands until the spouse puts her foot down. If this happens take a deep breath and make her a wobbler for her birthday. Wait one day and move out to the doghouse.... unless it is winter and then are in deep trouble :eek: :-\

Harold Lee----All is not lost. Ya see, the OTHER room right beside my tiny machine shop is the pump room for my upstairs ensuite hot tub. Now, wifey don't use the hot tub because it drys her skin out too much. And I have quit using the damn thing because it takes about $500 worth of electricity to keep it hot all year. (This is turning into a ramble.)--And its no fun hot tubbing alone. I have told good wife that it might be a good idea to tear out the hot tub and put in an upstairs laundry room instead. She thinks this is a great idea, because currently the laundry room is in the basement. IF the hot tub gets torn out, I can tear out the pump and plumbing, then I can remove a partition and have another room equal in size to my machine shop. The possibilities astound me--------------

Brian,

If you live in Tucson Arizona getting rid of the hot tub might be a good idea... If you live further north... Say in Barrie Ontario it might be a bad idea especially with winter coming on.. Better go to Tim Horton's and have a cup of Coffee and think about it...

I'm just sayin.. ;D

Harold

I see you have a good plan Brian,

Sounds like it culminates with you moving some equipment into the (Soon to be Empty) Laundry Room :big:

Kel

Oh Brian...Brian Brian

You have plenty of room! I have 3 lathes ( 12 x 39, 9 x 37 and 8 x 18) , 2 mills ( one a VN #12...all 1900 pounds of her), 2 bandsaws, a 10 foot bench with 24 drawers, 3 ton arbor press, 14" drill press, 2 tool chests, a tool and cutter grinder, a bench grinder, 10 gallon shop vac with central system, air compressor, stock shelves, surface plate,...and a stool...in my 11'6" x 18' 1 car garage.

And I'm just as "Svelte" as you!

;D

It does get to be a bit much doesn't it? ;D

Dave

:-[

I have only a Sherline Lathe... and no space to use it yet!

But soon, I hope have some space for my workshop... ;)

Cheers,

Alexandre

Brian,

After all the advice we have given you, I have to say. You have a good looking shop... It looks like it is just begging for some chips laying around...

Harold

Brian Rupnow said:
...there is no danger of being distracted by a housefly---There wouldn't be room for one. ;D ;D

Could turn out an advantage if you ever want to build a teleportation machine!

I have a friend had his basement done out for a design space, dunno if that's a possibility for your setup?

Mike

Back