Is it possible to set up an apartment shop?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It can be picked up, but it has sharp edges that stick to any fibers, like clothing or carpet. I have never been able to vacuum it out of carpet. I guess it could depend on the type of carpet, some is denser than others and the quality of the vacuum. It sticks to your shoes, so it gets tracked all over.

Washing detergent seems to accelerate rusting. I have found a lot of rusty spots on my clothes right after machining and then washing/drying. Now, I have several shirts that I make sure I wear when machining steel/cast iron. I even tried removing swarf from my clothes with a magnet, but I never seemed to get all of it, hence the rust spots.

I'm not trying to discourage you from machining in your apartment. In fact, I hope you do. I'm just trying to make you aware of issues that you may not expect.

Sure thing, and those are good things to know. Unfortunately, this apartment is fully carpeted, so I will have to try covering it up with something each time I suppose. A Makerspace recently opened up about a half hour from me, I might also be able to transport a mini lathe and milling machine to that too to do work.

Sure thing, and those are good things to know. Unfortunately, this apartment is fully carpeted, so I will have to try covering it up with something each time I suppose. A Makerspace recently opened up about a half hour from me, I might also be able to transport a mini lathe and milling machine to that too to do work.

You really don't want to be moving the larger tools around like that. The exception would be smaller machines like Sherlines and watch makers lathes. In either case I think what you are missing here is that it isn't just the lathe that you need to carry, tooling ends being as heavy as the lathe and bulky.

Chip control is a real problem. One thing that will help is a partial enclosure and a chuck cover or guard. Putting pieces of lexan in place in front of the cutting tool can help too. Think of magnets. The idea is to get the chips to fall down into the lathe enclosure instead of flying all over.

This will not however contain all the chips. A cheap solution would be a piece of plywood laid below the work area. Almost anything will help keep the chips out of the rug.

The type of tooling can be an issue too. You need to balance long stringy swarf against small chips from a chip breaking tools.

I should mention that I generally find mills to be worst than lathes when it comes to chip containment. It is very much a 360 degree problem on a mill.

By the way if there is a makers space being set up locally it might be worthwhile to rent time on the machine tools there. This would be a good way to get started and learn what sort of machines are suitable for your needs.

Speaking of carpet, does that include the kitchen? You don't often see carpets in such places.

You can definitely set up a small machine shop in your apartment. Just be aware that your neighbors on each side, above you, and below you are probably going to hate you. Is it possible---yes, that is a given. Just be prepared for the consequences.

Speaking of carpet, does that include the kitchen? You don't often see carpets in such places.

No carpet in the kitchen, however I live with my mom right now, and no way is she going to allow machine tools and machining in the kitchen :D

The Makerspaces do allow for one to store their tools there so I could maybe do that. Using their machine tools to gain experience also is a good idea.

You can definitely set up a small machine shop in your apartment. Just be aware that your neighbors on each side, above you, and below you are probably going to hate you. Is it possible---yes, that is a given. Just be prepared for the consequences.

Well luckily, I only have neighbors directly above me. There is one set of neighbors next door, but they are separate from the room I would like to put the machine tools in via a hallway and then a wall with very good sound insulation. It's the ceiling that they didn't put any soundproofing in.

No carpet in the kitchen, however I live with my mom right now, and no way is she going to allow machine tools and machining in the kitchen :D

The Makerspaces do allow for one to store their tools there so I could maybe do that. Using their machine tools to gain experience also is a good idea.

You never know about your mothers reaction. If set up on a roll around cart with suitable chip control a lathe might not be that bad. Besides there already are a bunch of tools in the kitchen that make a mess, just point to the mixer.

A warning about Makerspaces, they drain money from you. This can be a significant negative with respect to your machining budget. The problem here, that you might not be aware of, is that the cost of a lathe is easily doubled once you start buying or creating the required support tooling. One piece of hardware that you will need is a good bench grinder for sharpening and creating HSS tooling. You can use insert tooling to a certain extent but you really need to be able to grind and use HSS tooling. You need to consider tools like micrometers, vernier, squares and so forth, it all adds up quickly.

Another thing to consider is that Makerspaces generally allow tool boxes but may not be so accepting of machine tools. You need to check policies. Just remember the monthly fee could buy you a lot of tools and supplies.

So I did this, SWMBO agreed to it as well. Concrete floor (I'm on the first, wooden for the second), electric outlets and a light right over the bench. Under the tarp is a HF 4x6 bandsaw as well.
bench.jpg

Another thing to consider is that Makerspaces generally allow tool boxes but may not be so accepting of machine tools. You need to check policies. Just remember the monthly fee could buy you a lot of tools and supplies.

Yes, it's all something I'll have to balance. The initial reason I was researching Makerspaces is so that I can do woodworking, as that is pretty much impossible in this apartment with all the dust and noise that would result (can't hammer quietly). I know the one Makerspace will allow you to rent a whole private space/room for yourself, not sure of the cost though.

Mechman

there has certainly been a lot of advice given here.
And there are lots of options and variations.
The plus side of setting up a small shop with sherline tools is IMHO a decent investment you will have them for a long time and if you ever decide to sell them you will get a chunk of money back. Not likely everything you put out but se lle vi .

Maker spaces vary as far as options and costs. the ones I have seen that offer metalworking and woodworking often charge just a bit more for a combined membership. So If your main focus is woodworking and you are determined to join a makerspace to do woodworking it may make sense to do the metalworking option. Also some MS will rent storage lockers or closet space to secure tools supplies works in progress etc so you do not have to take everything home at the end of the day. or rent a whole room.
the plus size of a maker space is access to tools you would likely never buy and space but like any other rental at the end of the month your money is gone never to be seen again.

As far as a home shop.

1) NOISE the tool that will produce the most noise is a shop vac so unless the neighbors sleep during the day or you run it late at night should not be a problem.
2) the carpet I can think of many ways to cover carpet . you only need
3) Space you really just need to be a bit creative. This problem has been around since the beginning of the hobby of home machining. People have been machining in small to tiny shops for over a hundred years. People have set up shops in closets, attics, basements, sheds and yes apartments.
4) It is up to you only you can decide what kind of shop to have and where to set it up.
Tin

I've already added another 'like' because I' ve just become a widower. A very old one at almost 86 years and suffer dreadfully from cold weather. It was 0C this morning and so on. Happily, my son has delivered my little Myford and it will go- where it is warm. It will do a lot of things and will keep what is left of the old grey matter active.
I've a lot more difficult administrative work in consequence but worrying about a few turnings is very low in my order of priorities.

Now posting photographs here is going to be an early challenge.

Enjoy- whilst you are able

Norman

Just wanted to say thank you to all who have contributed information here, it has all been very helpful:cool:

You are welcome stay in touch let us know how things go for you.
Tin

So I read a good review for the Micro Mark MicroLux 7x16 lathe over at mini-lathe.com . This lathe apparently is the same as the various 7x12 lathes made by Sieg, however it is longer and has some additional features to it specified by Micro Mark (being longer being one of the features). Since it is longer and rather unique in this sense in comparison to the other 7x12 lathes, my question is does it need its own specific 7x16 tooling, or would the 7x12 tooling for the other lathes fit it?

So I read a good review for the Micro Mark MicroLux 7x16 lathe over at mini-lathe.com . This lathe apparently is the same as the various 7x12 lathes made by Sieg, however it is longer and has some additional features to it specified by Micro Mark (being longer being one of the features). Since it is longer and rather unique in this sense in comparison to the other 7x12 lathes, my question is does it need its own specific 7x16 tooling, or would the 7x12 tooling for the other lathes fit it?

For the most part it should take the same tooling. However people are often advised to buy screw machine length drill bits for their mini lathes. The idea being that it helps deal with the limited distance between centers. Obviously with more distance between centers this doesn't matter as much. You can still get into situations where short drill bits help though.

Related here is that part of the reason people need shorter drill bits is because they are using a drill chuck. Sometimes morse taper drill bits make a lot of sense. But those can make sense on the short lathes too.

Beyond that everything that works on the short machines should work fine here. At least to the best of my knowledge, I went the 9x20 route and frankly I like the longer distances between centers. I actually purchased my 9x20 a long time ago before Micro Mark had this model on the market. I may have been very tempted by this offering. The one thing I wish my machine had that the Mini Lathe has is the bolted on chucks, I do not like the screw on chucks at all after having the lathe for a bit.

x16 and it is the same as the the other 7s with a longer bed
I bought a version with cam lock tailstock as std.All tooling is the same
and the extra bed length worthwhile without additional weight
I did a thread on all the mods under Bazmak which made it a nice lathe
apart from giving me hours of pleasure.Highly recommend

x16 and it is the same as the the other 7s with a longer bed
I bought a version with cam lock tailstock as std.All tooling is the same
and the extra bed length worthwhile without additional weight
I did a thread on all the mods under Bazmak which made it a nice lathe
apart from giving me hours of pleasure.Highly recommend

Is that the thread on the Sieg SC4 lathe?

Hi mechman,no the post is under Bazmak diary of the sc3 7x16 mini lathe
After doing and enjoying a host of mods the motor blew so I sold it
and bought the sc4.Lots of threads under bazmak diaries you might find interesting

Hi mechman,no the post is under Bazmak diary of the sc3 7x16 mini lathe
After doing and enjoying a host of mods the motor blew so I sold it
and bought the sc4.Lots of threads under bazmak diaries you might find interesting

Ahh okay, coolbeans, I see it now:cool:

I have a high torque 7x16 lathe from LittleMachineShop.com I am doing a CNC conversion on it to be be the machine for the build class at TheCNCworkshop.com in June. We will have 12 guys all going home with a running CNC lathe.

I have pretty well torn this one apart and have found it to be a fine little machine. it had a few sharp edges that needed some deburring, but I think, for it size, it is going to make an excellent machine. I have all the conversion work done and expect my motors to arrive later today form CNC4PC.com I should be making parts in a day or two.

I have been planning to do a build log on this project but have not found the 'round toit' yet. I have been taking photos along the way.

I would look closely at the LMS lathe in comparison to the MicroMart one

How much modification do these machines need before you can use them to make parts, or could you use them out of the box to make parts even if there are some flaws? I ask because as a strict beginner, I doubt I would know what I was even looking at in terms of flaws, let alone how to fix them.

Latest posts

Back