Is it possible to set up an apartment shop?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MechMan183

Reaction score
So right now I live in an apartment, but I am really eager to start doing some machining work. My question is, is this doable with small hobby machine tools? I noticed that Sherline has a page on their website called "Compact Sherline Workshops:" http://www.sherline.com/shops.htm

On it they show miniature workshops. They say the following:

If you have an apartment or condominium you don't have to be left out of the fun of making fine, small projects. These machines make little more noise than a sewing machine and the mess they make can be cleaned up with a small vacuum cleaner or mini-shopvac.

My question is, is this really true? And would this apply to other mini-machine tool manufacturers as well?

Thanks

Absolutely! We've seen lots of home shops in tiny spaces, fully equipped and producing really great work. Cruise the various forums and look for the 'show us your shop' type threads.

Pete

Yes it is quite do-able. Like most of the good things in life it might require some compromises. You have to either use a spare bedroom for your workshop, or set up in one corner of the living room.

The small Sherline, SIEG lathes etc can be either left on the bench in the corner or picked up and packed away after use.

It's best if your floor is not carpeted. Swarf and carpets are not a good mix. Or you might put vinyl flooring over the carpet.

A guy I know is just finishing building a Bengs Laura stirling engine on a mini lathe in his apartment living room.

The apartment is carpeted, so I will have to have some type of covering in place I suppose. My main concern is noise levels as I don't want any neighbors complaining.

Very doable: The lathe stores on a shelf under the 2 drawers

IMGW1108.jpg

Absolutely, doable!
There are many people that have a spare room that they use for their hobby room.
The size of the machines these people use, are no bigger than some large lap top computers. As far as the area covered.

Unless you are using dull tools, You probably make more noise with your Television.
I have saw where people make a box, a base and cover, for each machine that they have.
This way they can, contain and carry each machine.

Mechman:
Not reason not to jump in on the hobby if you have the funds and time. While more space and larger machines certainly have and advantage , one can make great small projects with sherline lathes.
you may want to put a chair mat down to help clean up, the shop vac used for clean up will make more noise than any small mill or lathe

Tin

Noise is the main problem,but the small sieg lathe with variable speed
brushless motors are very quiet.Its the cutting noise that may be a problem

I have a small apartment workshop at the top of a tower block, its in the back bedroom of a two bedroom apartment and I've just completed a small coke bottle steam engine In it, I have a small X1 mill, a small sieg lathe, a bandsaw and numerous other bits and pieces, of course I have restrictions on how late I can work but I set up at night times and make chips during the day, the main advantage is nothing goes rusty and nobody gets to see i through the windows.

Noise is the main problem,but the small sieg lathe with variable speed
brushless motors are very quiet.Its the cutting noise that may be a problem

I was just going to post a question about the cutting. Is it possible to just cut things with like a hacksaw?

My Taig mill and lathe are on a bench in the corner of my 8' x 12' shed, on a 30" x 24" bench. My recommendation is have the ground floor, acoustic foam on the walls and ceiling, and wood floors with a tough finish.

When I say cutting noise I mean the turning.Any intrupted cuts are noisy
Bar stock can be cut with a hacksaw.I have cut up to 4" dia but its hard work
Turning alum. is quiet.I don't see any problems for you but location is important.Try to stay away from adjoining walls.Is the floor concrete ?

I had no complaints from SHMBO when I was cutting or milling (Taig milling attachment on lathe).
To prevent vibration transmitting into the concrete floor I made 3 silicone isolaters which sat between the lathe platform and desk. This was very effective. http://hobbies.psgv.ca/chips-contain-yourself/

Another solution might be to get a 'cow mat' from TSC, 1/2" or 3/4" thick recycled rubber.

Cutting you can do by hacksaw or slitting saw. Or get Metalsupermarkets to cut your metal almost to size.

When I say cutting noise I mean the turning.Any intrupted cuts are noisy
Bar stock can be cut with a hacksaw.I have cut up to 4" dia but its hard work
Turning alum. is quiet.I don't see any problems for you but location is important.Try to stay away from adjoining walls.Is the floor concrete ?

I don't think it is, I believe it's plywood, although I'm not sure what's underneath the plywood. I am on the ground floor though.

I reckon that if you take away all the machinists in the world that do what you want to do, then at least half the model engineering community would be lost.

In past times, it was even more so (especially in the UK), where 90% of the people lived in little two up, two down town houses (a posh name for terraced). Many years ago I had a full photographic darkroom inside a wardrobe.

If you are careful with your choice of machines, plus living on a ground floor, you shouldn't have any neighbour problems concerning the noise, but you might be a little restricted as to how large you can make something. If there is a her indoors, treat her to a set of radio headphones, and she can watch her programs in peace.

Just go for it and enjoy yourself.

John

Having a wooden floor would be an advantage for small tools but concrete
would be necessary for large machines.If the machines are small and can be
carried about (max say the Sieg sc2 ) then rubber mats are ideal as
anti-vibration mounts. I wholeheartedly say give it a go.Try it out and where possible ask the neirbores if they can hear anything.Save the noisy ops for certain times of day. Keep us posted .If you look at my posts I made a combined toolbox and bench on wheels, it would be ideal for you Regards Barry

The Seig C3 is small enough to carry, from memory about 36kg, say 80 pounds or so. Does a good job once it's set up properly too.

If'n you are going to carry, the Taig is nice and light minus the motor. Never used a Seig, but I think they can cut threads if that is important to you.

Since you are o n the ground floor things get much easier. Sound tends to travel down, not up.
For cutting metals consider a portable bandsaw, HF has them on sale at present.
I thing Gus is on this forum, he does all his work on a balcony. Cuts metal to size using a portable bandsaw bolted into upright position if memory serves.

My recollection of machining with my Taig, as lathe and milling, was that the noise I perceived was much greater than anyone outside the room noticed.

Gerrit

Latest posts

Back