• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

inverted twin oscillator kit and lots of other stuff....

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen

Reaction score
Backstory: About 4 years ago a friend of mine decided he wished to make a "different" engine kit... A group of fellow modellers exhibiting at the National Threshers show all put in their thoughts and the general idea for this engine kit came together. After a few false starts and setbacks it's finally here..... :big:

invtwin1a.jpg

The finished engine stands 7-3/4" tall and has a 4-3/4" flywheel. The kit contains 3 aluminum castings, basic drawings, and bar materials. You can build it plain or fancy it up as you like. Asking price is $95 per kit.

I also have other kits on my website at http://www.catfish-hollow.com
Thanks

Very nice model, any chance of a picture at 90 deg from the present?

Are those single acting cylinders with both pistons on power stoke at the same time?

Thanks for the additional photo and ditto Stan's post. It really is a nice looking engine.

Sorry for leaving it out ::) , the cylinders are double acting, 1/2" bore x 3/4" stroke. I'm thinking he might not have gotten the prototype quartered quite perfect.

Welcome to HMEM Allen!

I was just looking over your web site.
I was supprised to see your only 19 miles away from me, as the
groundhog travels.

I have a boy in his last year at IUP this year and I'm there regularly.
I'll try to look you up on one of those trips.

Rick

Allen--This is something that I recently found out---the "throws" on the crankshaft are timed correctly---at 90 degrees, not 180 degrees. If they were at 180 degrees, the engine could still hang up with one piston at top dead center and one at bottom dead center and not self start. With the cylinders being double acting, and the throws timed at 90 degrees, the engine will always self start, as there is no way to get both pistons at top or bottom of stroke at the same time. I asked this question about the steam engines in trains---there was no way the egineer could get out of the train and flick the flywheel over to get the engine rotating if it happened to quit with both pistons in their "dead spot". ---Brian

Back