Introduction and a Question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wespe

Reaction score
Hello all, I have come across your forum and have discovered that there is a wealth of information available here, so I think I will stick around for a while.

I'm on the verge of becoming a certified Mechanical Engineering Technologist, and enjoy designing and working on mechanical things. Over the past year I have started to teach myself and take courses on machine work, and find it very enjoyable while still challenging me. I hope to continue with it for many years.

My question is about a lathe I available in my area for purchase, and I was wondering if anyone here had used one or knows any more information about them. It's a Logan Lathe model 821. It's a slightly older machine, and is American made. It's a 10x31 size machine, flat belt driven with a cabinet stand, and comes with a QC gearbox and some accessories. I'm waiting on photos, but it sounds like it was used by an older gentleman, so I'm guessing it will be in okay condition. So, does anyone else have any more information? Or an opinion on this piece of equipment?

Thanks

Welcome "wespe" to the forum.

I own a Logan lathe. A bit newer though, 1971. It also has qucik change gears

If the machine is in good shape I think it would be an excellent machine for you. If you need any info you can contact Scott Logan at Logan Actuator Company. Click on this link: http://www.lathe.com/
Also a Google search turns up much info.

Regards,
Bernd

Hi, Wespe, and welcome to the Ward. Most everyone's friendly here - gotta watch that guy in Hawaii, though; he's mad as a Hatter - and the forum is a fountain of information. So grab a cuppa, pull up a sitting on thingie and have fun.

As to the Logan ... a bit big for me but I know I've seen them mentioned elsewhere in the forum in positive terms, and a couple folks have already given you a couple directions to try.

Enjoy your stay and keep a look out for the Fluffy Bunnies.

BEst regards,

Kludge

A Logan is a great lathe if it is in the size range you need. They were used as student lathes as well as production use. Since the 800 series did not have hardened ways, wear can be a problem on a lathe used in production.

I had an 820 for about 20 years and I know how their number system works and 821 doesn't ring a bell. A model 820 is the standard lathe on a chip pan and cast iron legs with a rear motor drive. When the same lathe is mounted on a cabinet base, it becomes a Model 825 with underneath motor drive.

A Model 821 may be a normal 820 or 825 with some kind of factory option. Your best source of information is Logan actuator and they are always very helpful.

If this lathe is in good condition, it will last you a lifetime.

G'day and welcome Wespe

the logan is a nice lathe i had one here ( Australia ) for a good while but it was a bit worn when i got it and i did some horrible things to it but it still worked ( i made it into a rifling machine ) well when i sold it on

http://store.lathe.com/pl-06.html

i hope this link helps its for the logan company in the US

again welcome theres a heap to learn here and i look forward to your future posts

cheers

jack

I have a 1952 Logan, 11 x 24. When I bought it, the ways were seriously worn next to the headstock. For $300 I got the ways reground and am now very happy with the lathe. I replaced the flat belt pulley with a 3/8" pitch timing pulley that I modified to fit the spindle and have a 1 hp, DC motor that gives me variable speed through a variac. Great setup, I love it.

Chuck

Thanks for the warm welcome all.

Does anyone have advice on moving a machine like this. I should probably figure out details like this beforehand.

Depending on the model, it should disassemble into pretty manageable pieces that two people could carry. You could probably tear it down far enough for one person to manage. If you remove the headstock from the bed, be sure to watch for any shims that may have been added over the years.

Chuck

wespe said:
Does anyone have advice on moving a machine like this. I should probably figure out details like this beforehand.

Depends on were your moving it to. Is it going up, down or staying on the same level. In other words, is it going into the basement or up a flight of stairs or staying on the first level? Need some details. It'll help as to suggesting takeing it apart or leaving it in one piece.

Bernd

I'm not sure how it is located currently, I have not gone to see it yet. As to where I will be placing it, it will be in a shop that has a slab-on grade elevation and a rolling door. I also have a tractor available for my end. So no problem there.

Well, it's all mine. Just have to move it into it's new home (hopefully this weekend), and get going.

If you read through this long thread
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=2930.0
there are a lot of suggestions on moving a boxford lathe which is similar in size to the Logan 820-1

Shortly after you asked about the model 821, that question came up on the Logan Lathe BB. IIRC Scott Lgan replied that it was a model 820 factory shipped with a special tailstock.

If you haven't already joined that board, here is the URL
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/lathe-list/

Once again, welcome to the HMEN board and to another Logan owner.

PS: I moved my 820 three times so if you have a question email me. Address is in my profile.

It's moved, and now I just need to set it up and the chips can start flying. Many thanks to Stan, who gave me some very helpful pointers on moving, that saved me a bit of work.

-Tom

Back