interesting museum... Carlsbad CA (USA)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a great site !

I have a few of those carbide mining lamps shown at the bottom of the page.
They do work very well in a cave, and provide very wide and even light, far better than any LED headlamp.

Now I have to figure out a way to go there and visit that museum. I do not think it was there in 1987 when we visited the caverns.

Another interesting museum is the DFW Elite Toy museum in Hurst Texas. They have a number of detailed car models, etc with working engines. One example is a very detailed scale model Ferrari with a working V12 all machined and made by by a craftsman. But they have a bunch of antique salesman’s models from the 1800s on into the 1900s too. These are the models that traveling salesmen used to sell products back then. But there are also some rare and really cool super cars too. The adult toys so to speak. But even better is that it is free admission too.

http://dfwelitetoymuseum.com/

Now I have to figure out a way to go there and visit that museum. I do not think it was there in 1987 when we visited the caverns.

that's the wrong Carlsbad - the museum is in California, not New Mexico - Carlsbad Ca is just south of Oceanside, (which is at the southern end of Camp Penelton marine base) - it is between San Diego and Los Angeles on the coast.

Aw heck. Then I will likely never get to visit it then. Bummer.

Aw heck. Then I will likely never get to visit it then. Bummer.
well, it's not that long a drive - it's a long day, but if you leave early or late and don't get snarled in traffic, you can stop in Quartsite and paw through rocks and then keep going to the coast. I've made the drive a bunch of times for vacations - including visiting the caverns.

Quartzite is pretty neat. We went there several times, years ago, for the rock shows etc. Back then it was a tiny little town with big RV parks. Not sure if it is a bigger town now. It would grow from like a 100 population to 50,000 during the shows.

Vista is near Carlsbad and is the home of the Antique Gas & Steam Engine Museum. It is well worth a visit. I liked it so much I went back the next day.

Latest posts

Back