Interesting DRO product

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah...I think that's the one I was referring to in my 'Homemade DRO...' thread. $80! Nice if all you want to do is 'move' the display so you can read it.

I don't know what the 'M' button is for. Maybe that's what justifies the extra cost.

Saw that one too. You can see how easy it is to convert the signals.

The only thing is...newer laptops don't support RS232. You can get RS232 to USB converters...but then you're adding cost.

zeeprogrammer said:
The only thing is...newer laptops don't support RS232. You can get RS232 to USB converters...but then you're adding cost.

The serial ports are still available but not in the stores. We order ours from Dell with the DB9 connector / serial port. Mandatory for us. My group is all network engineers and we need to connect to the console serial port of Cisco routers and switches. The USB / serial adapters do not work reliably enough for us.

Had I come across that one first...I would have been sorely tempted. Still though...I'm figuring it will cost me under $200-225 for two systems (one for lathe and one for mill) plus some other features (like tach). So maybe I'm okay. Hm...but I'm not counting the processor...or the enclosures...or...ah...still good!

Zee... The M is for Metric....

I was looking at those too. I've seen them as low as $69.99 plus shipping. I worry about how well they will hold up over time. I was going to build the Shumatech but changed my mind.

Firebird; Thanks for the link. Have to check shipping but the cost is low.

I wouldnt mind one of those readouts for just measuring stuff.....Especially after a late night! :-X

Yeah...just too expensive for me. $14 for a cable! I need something like 6 of them.

Nah...I'll get some 4 conductor and solder them on...maybe a cheap set of connectors too so I can disconnect near the scale. Electrical tape! Yeah...that's the ticket. ;D

Careful about having PC too close to swarf and/or coolant.

Back