Interesting Auction Item

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joey :
Yes appears to be some sort of production toy steam engine. There are various versions of a top mounted engine out there. IRRC Jenson, Mamod, and wilesco all had design similar to this.

Here is a photo of the jensen #85 currently available

jn85.jpg

Tubal Cain published the Kitten design in Engineering in miniature Nov 1982 also in Simbple modelk steam engines book 2 by Tubal Cain.
Wich is an over type engine on a simple boiler.
Hope this helps . Maybe someone else can give a positive ID on that engine.
Tin

I think I found it.

steamt3.jpg

The next picture is of a common form of toy steam engine that was made by a number of different makers over the years. This particular one is called "The Pioneer" and was made or marketed by a fellow named Edgar Side of Philadelphia, PA. near the turn of the century. It is unusual in that it is in its box, and for the fact that it cost a whopping 15.00 back near the turn of the last century when most toys cost but a dollar or two. Mr. Side must have been bought out by Weeden or some other maker, as his toy steam engines are quite hard to find but are almost exactly the same design as those offered by these larger better known makers.

Other makers of similar toys were Weeden, Bing, Jensen, and Plank to name a few.

Found Here

Kermit

Thanks Tin, Kermit.

I am somewhat familiar with the Jensen and Mamod engines, and still see a few at flea markets and such. I thought this one was really neat though.

Kevin

Tony
You are correct... its indeed a Weeden snowflake. I've got one on the shelf that needs some minor repairs if you are looking for one to restore. You can PM me if it's of interest.

Steve

I'm always on the lookout for future projects, but I tend to buy the basket cases as I get them cheap so I can spend most of my money on new tools and material. :big:

I paid $40 OZ (about $32 US) for my Snowflake.

If your Snowflake is nearly complete it will probably be out of my price range.

I found this Weeden on eBay for really cheap. Cleaned up nice. Used automotive high heat paint made for exhaust manifolds. Pressure relief valve and whistle are from a Mamod since I could not find Weeden parts. Power cord turned out to be a standard appliance cord so I got a new one for it. Crank was bad so I just made a new one and painted it to match the cylinder.

IMG_0864.JPG

IMG_0867.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG

If you are ever after any info on Toy steam engines a good place to start is
'The Unofficial Mamod and Other Steam Forum'
http://modelsteam.myfreeforum.org/

There are a number of us that are members on both forums and HMEM and TUM&OF. I find they compliment each other very well as they are about associated interets but coming at it from different angles.

Basically, I want to know how to machine something I come here but if I want info, measurements or photos of parts of toy steam engines I go there.

Well, the downside to all of this is that had I asked before the auction date, I would have made it a point to be there. :mad:

This engine doesn't seem to be as common as the Jensen and Mamod engines (first I've seen or heard of them anyway). I am sorta curious now as to what it may have sold for, as there doesn't seem to be much of an interest in the model engines around here. I see other makes for sale at flea markets and such; but they never seem to move many of them.

Kevin

Weedens are fairly common. Weeden snowflakes aren't.
Weeden has two very different ranges of engines.
The quality ones such as the Snowflake and the cheaper ones.

The cheaper ones used a lot of cast lead parts on them including the steam domes on some of their engines. :eek:

If you do decide to get a Weeden watch out as the cheaper ones can be a nightmare to repair due to the lead parts or Mazak cancer.
I've even seen Weedens with the safety valve screw made from lead.

tmuir said:
If you do decide to get a Weeden watch out as the cheaper ones can be a nightmare to repair due to the lead parts or Mazak cancer.
Ah, lead rot...the bane of miniatures collectors everywhere. :-\

Latest posts

Back