Auction Season is Here!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
I was just thinking that Auction Season is here.
I went to AuctionZip and entered my zip code.
Not a lot of any interest to me for April, so I checked May.
I found This Listing.

Uh-Oh....... :big:

RIck

Nice find, Rick.

Lets see... I could use that backhoe, the wife wants a new garden ;D

The generator could come in handy for storm season, the one I have is a little wimpy.

Oh, and the Bridgeport.

Could you ship them to me? ::)

I had my own auction business thirty-five years ago when I lived in New York and have worked for a local auctioneer for the past fifteen years. Some advice that I would like to offer is have a good idea what the merchandise is worth and decide how much you are willing to spend before the bidding starts. It is amazing how people will forget about the value of a piece and will get into a bidding war with someone. That said, don't forget that the only person that wins the piece is the last bidder.

Jack

Whats with that site? I put 87112 (Albuquerque NM) in and Tools
I get pottery in PA and gave up!
...lew...

Daaaaannnnnnngggggg, looks like someone is liquidating a construction biz ??

Lew, the site link is correct.
Unless you are a paying subscriber to the site, keywords or categories
will cause problems.

Jack I totally agree!
Then again, that mentality kicked my butt a few times.
Two years ago I went to an auction for the sole purpose of bidding on
a South Bend Lathe. It was well worth $750, but I had set a personal limit
of $500 on my bidding. It sold for $525.
:wall:

Rick

I've not tried the Auction circuit, but scored a some nice files and pliers at an estate sale this morning on the way to work. Not bad for $5 and 5 minutes of my time.

Garage sale season is in full swing hereabouts. Most of 'em don't have much, but every so often you come across something.

We don't seem to have much in the way of auctions around here. ('Vette.. Wanna let me in on the skinny?)

I did go to a flea market today in town. Bought a nice used Black and Decker 1/4" variable speed reversible drill with a 1/2" spade bit in the chuck for $1

:D

The age old story is that you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince.

I went to my first auction of the season today. The auction flyer had a picture of a Montgomery wards lathe, which as we know is made by Logan. On arrival at the auction, I was hoping to find more machinist type tools since he had the metal lathe, however the auction company had marked all lathe related tooling as "Goes With" the metal lathe. To make a long story short, the Logan with a 3 Jaw and 4 jaw chucks, tool holders, a steady rest, full set of change gears, tailstock chucks and centers etc. on a stand went for $500.00.

I picked up a mint Starret dial caliper for $15.00 and this 1934 Double A products 6" metal lathe with a 4 jaw chuck also for $15.00.

The AA lathe is from the very first year that Double A started making lathes as I determined by the Transfer decal on the compound. This one says "Double A Products, Ann Arbor, Michigan". The company moved to Manchester, Michigan in 1936.
This lathe also has a flat bed. They started a V bed model also in 1936, so I am sure this predates that.

It needs some work, but for $15.00 I think I did well.

I also got a bunch of Aluminum stock and about 30 pounds of bronze bushings and bearings in all differant sizes for $10.00.

100_1067.jpg

Twmaster said:
We don't seem to have much in the way of auctions around here. ('Vette.. Wanna let me in on the skinny?)

Sure. Go check out www.dakil-auction.com, they are the largest in OKC. You missed the big auction frenzy back in the oil bust of the mid 80's. Many companies went out of business and the assets were auctioned off.

Rick, thanks for the link. I'm interested in attending a couple of those auctions.

Quickj... That is a nice and rare example of the AA Dunlap lathe. While they weren't much of a lathes that is certainly old and really neat.

Back