Indy 500 practice

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmerritt

Reaction score
Hey all,

I spent yesterday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for a practice session. We had free food, free beer and lots of fast cars! After living an hour from the track for 16 years this was my first time there. All I can say is holy s#$t those cars are amazing! There were cars on the track for the entire six hour session with a fastest lap of 222 mph. We also had a chance to wander around the garage area and I got to see the back end of a lot of cars. I wish I could have gotten closer to an engine! While I don't think I'd be able to handle the crowds at the race proper, I'd definitely go to pre-race practice again. I'd even pay the outrageous $10 and free parking if I had to. I took a bunch of crappy videos and will try to post some if I can figure out how to shrink them to a more friendly size.

Peter

I remember my Dad struggling to do justice to the sensation of a car going by you about 3 feet away at 200+ mph.....He said it just sucked the wind out of you.

Dave

We spent some time maybe 50 feet from the track. The sensation of cars going by at over 220 mph made me giggle like a school girl. I have never seen anything like it. I have some video from that vantage where the cars are just a blip across the screen. Driving around in circles all day seems a bit silly, but the way they do it is nothing short of amazing.

Peter

Back