Indexing attachment

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don-tucker

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Has anybody made an indexing attachment for the Myford lathe,I believe the backgear bull wheel is a good start,it would be nice to see how other people went about it.
Don :-\

Depends on the Myford Don, the ML7 has a 65t bull wheel, which is just about useless for the purpose (unless you are looking for 65 divisions) The usual way is to make an expanding arbour that plugs into the back of the spindle and mounts a change wheel, you then have to mount some sort of bracket to carry a detent pin. I migh have some shots of mine on photobucket already, I'll check

Here's a shot of my bracket, with the change wheel and pin changed for a cheap plastic degree wheel and 'pointer'

degree2.jpg

expanding plug with change wheel
index1.jpg

mounted on the lathe

Index3.jpg

from another angle

Index2.jpg

Thanks for all that,it's a super 7 so i'll count the teeth on the backgear and if not suitable go for mounting a gear on the spindle as you have suggested.
Thanks again
Don

I'm in luck it's 60 teeth,
Don

With a S7 you could go to town with the George Thomas Versatile Dividing kit.
divght4.jpg

Mark

Sorted
Index.jpg
Found the index pin on an old dividing head,thanks for all your help.
The next project is a saddle stop,the prop. is the gearbox in the way.
Don

How about the saddle stop,then ? ::)

Choice of two -
saddlestop1_2.jpg

The multi-stop from Chris Heapy's site mentioned above & a micrometer stop from Model Engineer, Oct.1961 by T E Bristol
Mark

Good ideas but I thought a bit messy,I think a DRO on the back slide would be the neatest way to go,I know it wont be a dead stop but it would give me a good indication,I have a digital caliper I don't use so I'm half way there.
Don

Back