Ignitions??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naijin

Reaction score
Hi there, I am building a small engine ( I C ) and I am in need for some advice regarding ignition systems ( preferably the simplest and smallest ), all advice will be greatly appreciated. P.S. any pictures or diagrams will assist.

Regards
Nick ;D

I recently used a cheap Chinese CDI and hall sensor setup. You can see it at this link. It's easy to set up, you just need a small rare earth magnet (around $1 on ebay) and 4 AA batteries. Works well, although my sensor did die, I've heard that's rare. Got a replacement here in Aus for under $3.

"Simple and small", you might want to take a look at S/S for the basic single spark CDI board. The hardest part is mounting a magnet and sensor. The sensor is less than 3/16 inch square. The magnet i use is 1/8 round and 1/16 thick. the boards are very small and the important stuff goes together with click together connectors.

http://www.cncengines.com/ic.html

Hi
If the engine is comparatively slow running where a buzz coil would do as on the old model T Fords, then I have had success with a with a battery powered gas lighter which sends out a shower of sparks when pressed. You can get these on ebay for about £8 and use a small micro switch as points. I can let you have the name of the lighter if you wish, I use one on one of my hit and miss engines
Hugh

[ Thanks for the info Al, I ordered one last night, should be here soon, will ley you know how it performs.
Nick :)

Latest posts

Back