I need help!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zadch

Reaction score
My grandfather is cleaning up his shop and found an old engine that he is now trying to get to run. He needs some help though. He doesn't know what engine it is. (He believes its a Centaur) He has some questions on how to full wire it, wether it is oil injected somewhat or if its mixed and what engine it is. An info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Zach. I have more pics but I can't get to seem to get more then one to work on this iPad.

image.jpg

It appears to have no valves nor camshaft so its a 2 stroke motor. Remove the carbrator or open the throttle full, rotate the engine an see if the piston can be viewed moving, and if there are ports cut into the piston, or the bottom of the piston can be seen as it reaches TDC, its a 2 stroke and you mix oil in the gas to run, for an engine like that 20:1 gas/oil mix.

There should be a set of points or wire under the flywheel, Are there magnets oh the flywheel, looking at the photo I would guess not, so likely battery ignition.

Hi Zadch,

Your granddads engine looks like an old english Stuart engine. The picture comes from an advertising in Model Engineer magazine date Feb. 1952. I have no further information about the engine but recognised it from your photo. Perhaps it may be of help. Try also internet. Search for: stuart turner lightweight engine. Lots of information !

Kind regards, Johan.

photo001.jpg

It does indeed look like a Suart Petrol "Lightweight" engine. It could be ordered as air or water cooled. If so, yours looks to be water cooled. From Stuart's catalogue's, it has the following specs: three port, two stroke, .3bhp at 3600rpm, 34.5mm bore X 32mm stroke (29.9cc); height 7.5". Lubrication is via mixing with the petrol plus a drip feed direct to intake. It was popular in model speed boat racing, apparently reaching speeds of 30mph.

In the background of your picture it looks like you have an ignition coil. Can't see enough to see if that matches what Stuart's coil looked like. I don't see a carberator. Stuart's carb's are rather distinctive.

Let me know if you need more info, as I have a number of older Stuart catalogues.

Robin

Sure looks like it has the same carb as in the advertisement. Cylinder is turned 90 degrees from the ad, but other details look similar.

Sure looks like it has the same carb as in the advertisement. Cylinder is turned 90 degrees from the ad, but other details look similar.

Sorry, I missed seeing the carb when I was looking at the OP's picture - I had just got home from a red-eye flight, so no sleep. You are correct, it does appear to be a Stuart carb. That would definitely make it a Stuart lightweight petrol engine. Robin

Latest posts

Back