Hurricane Sandy

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NYC hit hard Kennedy International and Newark liberty just reopening. Luguardia still closed holland tunnel closed.
tin

I hope everyone is safe and well and not too much damage to home or workshop

Mike
Brighton
Sussex
England

My Mom and Sister just came over to get warm. On the radio I heard that Monroe Connecticut (the town they are from) still has 100% of the power out. Not good as the temperatures at night are predicted to drop into the upper 30's. It's already 48f at 4:00pm.

At work today a coworker mentioned that where he lives. New Haven, Connecticut. the power is not expected to come back for 8 days. I guess better to have no power than no home to go back to at all.

We came through it relatively unscathed here.
A little roof damage caused some water in the attic, but we'll accept that!

That damn dead maple tree in the front yard didn't lose a twig.
Someday I'll have to get that thing CUT down. :rolleyes:

Rick

Still thousands of people in south jersey without power. 40 degrees at night and high 50s during the day so fairly mild temps. although a little chilly by some standards no worries of fokls freezing or having to deal with heat stress.
Tin

Hurricane Sandy was quite the "fun" experience.:wall:

To start things off, when I got kicked out of work at 5 pm on monday, my suburban battery was dead and I needed a jump. I figured I'd stop at Auto Zone or wally world to get a new battery. It looked like a ghost town, everything was closed. I did make it home without incident.

Winds picked up to a sustained 60 mph by 8 pm and the electric went out at 8:45 pm monday. It seems we got a nice surge as the electric went out and we lost two TV's, the "good" computer, the two year washing machine and the garage door opener. ( this was determined when we got electric back ).

Tuesday morning I finally found a place to purchase a battery about 7 miles away. On the way over, we saw literally hundreds of trees down and many trees hung up in the wires or having torn wires down. The roads were littered with debris.

Since we were out of electric, no running water but the generator kept the food from spoiling and the Franco-Belge oil burner in the basement kept us nice and toasty. Cooking was done on our gas grill. Water to flush the toilet came out of the neighbor's pond and I went back to work starting wednesday so our water container were refilled each day there.

We finally got electric back on friday at 5:30 pm.

A thanks to all the workers from all over who helped get us back on the grid.

Jeff

I lost a TV to a storm once. There was a black line running down the wall (1st floor apartment) my neighbor lost hers too.

Glad you made it out OK!

Latest posts

Back