hss endmills quality check

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an identical set that I got from another company.
I haven't had any issues with them.

Steve Fox

I asked the seller what was the country of origin, just curious. He/she said China. Just so you know.

I didn't know HSS was titanium!

Chuck

Last edited:
I have an identical set bought from Busy Bee tools. I don't really recommend them (the milling cutters). The grinding is sub par on many of the edges. Makes it hard when learning to determine if its your technique or machine or tool when the surface finish is off (in my case was all 3!). I now use them when I'm milling some mystery metal so I don't ruin a nice end mill.

They were my first set of cutters but in retrospect the advice I have seen given here many times would have been better - buy just a couple of end mills in sizes you need and can use.

Mike

They look like generic Chinese end-mills, I've used lots of them and have 2 sets now. I get them from Enco. I think the "titanium" is a coating.

maybe its because i dont know any better, i bought theese end mills with my milling machine about 2 years ago and i am very pleased with them. its only now the most used sizes 12mm and 20mm are staring to dull after plenty of use.

My experience with Chinese End Mills.
Would buy end mills whenever I drop by South China.Cheaper to buy here than in Singapore and definitely very much cheaper buying from LMS,Arceurotrade etc. DHL/Emory/UPS kills.
.US$25 for a Pedal Speed Control Switch and US$45 for DHL.
Chinese end mills are OK when working with Aluminium/brass but with mild steel it best to use some lubricant like Tapmatic Fluid to prevent dulling the cutting edges prematurely.Best to use lower speed than the recommended speed. Eventually the cutting edges will dull.
Recently I bought a batch of Taiwanese End Mills made in China and they cut better and lasted longer. Japanese end mills best but they cost a bomb.Plan to make a grinder for end miils for 10mm and 12mm which are my favourite size. I have grown a good crop of dull end mills.
Recently a good friend gave me a bunch of very new carbide end mills inherited from his father.
Will try them out.

The Titanium is a Titanium Nitride (TiN) coating. It is thin (~10um or 0.0003") but very hard coating to prevent wear, and can also eliminate Built Up Edge when cutting at low speeds. It is also a diffusion barrier. One disadvantage is that it is bad when intermittent cutting.

Ian

Last edited:
Back