Howell v2

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geo

Reaction score
I had to remake my gear case ,completed and all gears/cams fit and operate
The gears I cut for my oil pump aren't up to scratch so I redid them so l now have good gears but they don't like my pump body looks like I will have to redo my pump body.Think I might take the dog for a walk .

I had to remake my gear case ,completed and all gears/cams fit and operate
The gears I cut for my oil pump aren't up to scratch so I redid them so l now have good gears but they don't like my pump body looks like I will have to redo my pump body.Think I might take the dog for a walk .

No worries. Small gears are difficult to cut. The 13 tooth is hard to get it right. Tooth must be cut at one go. I used a Poor man's DIY DRO.Best to cut gears between centres to get gear concentric. Slight errors can be easily lapped off. I use brass for the cam gear train which easy to lap off. I had to use steel for the oil pump gears to match with the brass pump body.

Gear pump body. Best to cut 14T x Module 0.5 . OD is 8 mm. To cut the blind holes for the gears ,I made a jig. To the gears to mesh,use thin tissue in between. With gears meshed together,pop the centres. At first attempt ,I got the gears to mesh and turn.

I am now prepping for the first pop. Oh !! One more. Keep the gears safely. I had one 32 t gear falling out into the garden and never found.

The gear case was made twice. Boring the blind pit holes for gears calls for lathe bed stops.

Latest posts

Back