Howdy

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DickDastardly40

Reaction score
Hi Joel,

Nice to meet ya, what sort of things do you like to make?
Look forward to reading whatever you care to post.

Al

G'day and welcome Joel

you come to the right place!

i am learning so much from these blokes, its beyond funny

and everyone is happy to help

cheers and again welcome!

jack

.... and if we don't know the answer we'll make something up anyway. ;)

Welcome

tel said:
.... and if we don't know the answer we'll make something up anyway. ;)

:big: That's what I always say when I volunteer as a tour guide in the S.S. Lane Victory steam ship engine room. I tell the tour groups that if I don't know the answer, I'll make up something that sounds really really good :D Always gets a good chuckle.

Worked pretty good too when I was a technical trainer, loosens up the crowd. :p

Mike

howdy and Welcome from a newbe. this is a great place and i need all the help i can get.:)

Joel said:
I have been poking around the board for a little while and it seems like a great group.

Yeah, they're misleading like that. Wait until you get to know them. You'll find that to be a gross understatement.

While I have been machining for quite sometime, there seems to be little limit to what I don't know - so here I am to try and help fill in the gaps!

The cool part is that your experience will help "fill the gaps" for others. In theory, the end result is that everyone will achieve the cumulative knowledge level represented. It doesn't really work out that way but it is a nice theory.

Enjoy the forum and watch out for that guy from Hawaii. He has an irrational fear of sanity.

Best regards,

Kludge

Kludge said:
Yeah, they're misleading like that. Wait until you get to know them. You'll find that to be a gross understatement.

Dam ......... ??? ............... Rumbled ........ :D ;D ;)

Welcome aboard Joel, just enjoy yourself; anyway I'm sure I can benefit from your experience 8)

CC

Thanks for the warm welcome.
I see that there are lots of friendly and familiar posters from the other machining boards - several of which I haven't seen elsewhere for awhile.

Al, in addition to making the same types of things that the typical home shop makes (repair items, jigs/fixtures, and of course, tools for my tools ;D), I currently have a small manufacturing shop that produces tools for the firefighting industry. Before that, I ran an even smaller fab shop that did a good bit of machining. After hanging around the online community for some years, it seems that I often have somewhat of a non-standard approach to many things.

I see that there are lots of friendly and familiar posters from the other machining boards - several of which I haven't seen elsewhere for awhile.

There are other boards?

David

Twinsquirrel said:
There are other boards?

"Other Boards" :eek: ................. that's why "spam" filters were invented

;) CC

Kludge.... watch who you calling gross... eh?....LOL

Joel...
Welcome aboard. Just one word of warning. Don't touch Kludge's "Elvis, John Wayne and Hank Williams walking into the sunset" painted on black velvet. He's rather attached to it.... and we used his very own power stapler to stick him up there...(grin)

Steve

Hi Joel

"it seems that I often have somewhat of a non-standard approach to many things."

So i guess you will fit right in ;D ;D ;D

Welcome

Kind regards

Malcolm

Hi Joel,
Welcome. And thanks for the implied tip about there being a "standard approach". I hadn't realized there was such a thing :big:. Guess I better stop sitting on these books and actually read one,

Cheers,
Phil

Welcome Joel

That is the cool thing about machining it is adaptive and creative. Once you learn the basics one can adapt and overcome so to speak .
I have said if you ask 10 experienced machinist how to make a particular part you may get 8 or more different answers.
Tin

12 different answers in my experience Tin

Joel said:
it seems that I often have somewhat of a non-standard approach to many things.

Ummm ... there's a standard approach to things?

There are, at present, 1457 members (subject to change by the time I send this.) If asked, you'd get no less than 1458 different approaches to the same project. But that's what makes this place so much fun. Well, that and the general attitudes here.

Have fun!

Best regards,

Kludge

Cedge said:
Kludge.... watch who you calling gross... eh?....LOL

Well, now that you mention it ... ;D

Don't touch Kludge's "Elvis, John Wayne and Hank Williams walking into the sunset" painted on black velvet.

Yeah, those paint-by-numbers pictures are tough and I finally got them right. Kind of. Mostly. More or less.

He's rather attached to it.... and we used his very own power stapler to stick him up there...(grin)

So THAT is what happened to it!

Best regards,

Kludge

Latest posts

Back