Howdy from Tucson

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acorn

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm from Tucson Arizona. I've been lurking for awhile here and finally decided to sign up a couple days ago. Lots of really great info here. It may be quite awhile before I get around to building any model engines as most of my free time to machine is spent building custom weight training equipment for my other hobby. I currently work in IT but my first career was as a machinist. Its been close to 15years now since I worked in that capacity though and I'm sure I have forgotten much. I do the occasional fab work at home though and enjoy the problem solving aspect now as much as I ever did. I have a few basic tools and do my best to make do with what I have until I can save up enough to get a decent workshop built in the back yard. A short list of tools includes a Southbend 10k Lathe that I am working on bringing back to full functionality, a 7x10 mini - lathe I will probably get rid of once the SB is done, Small drill press with x-y table, Mig and Oxy welding equipment plus the skills to use them, Hand tools, belt sander, etc. Also have lots of other tools but those are likely the relevant ones.

I took metalshop in HS and competed in the Vocational skill contests in machining before and during my machinist apprenticeship. I won the AZ state contest in 1991 and 1992 as well as the Nationals both of those years in Precision Machining in VICA (Vocational Industrial clubs of America). I also competed in the International Trials with a specialty of the Lathe at the IMTS show in Chicago getting 2nd. I apprenticed in the Toolroom at the Garrett Engine Division in Phoenix for a couple of years before heading off to college as well and worked summers and a few years after as a machinist in various roles at a couple medium sized shops. Working as equipment repairman, Toolmaker, CNC lathe setup, programmer, operator, QC, even shift foreman for a bit. I got out of the Aerospace industry mostly due to the conditions but still love to make things for myself. I worked towards a Mechanical Engineering degree for a couple years in college but changed tracks about halfway through. I have some basic experience with electronics and have designed and made simple circuit boards and done some micro-controller firmware coding for my own Fitness related projects. As far as model engine experience goes though, my experience is pretty slim. I worked on building a small 1 cylinder 4 cycle overhead cam engine when I was apprenticing 20yrs ago. Never finished it as I moved on before it was done and did not have all the knowledge and skills yet anyway to work out all the details on my own. Later I learned much though building and modifying VW engines while in college. I understand the basics of how air-cooled motors work alot better than I did and had even built quite a few custom components when I was still into that many years ago.

I am an expert in nothing but have some experience in many different disciplines I guess is my point. The wonderful thing about machining is there is always another way to do something and I still learn new ways to do something than I would have thought to do it all the time via forums like this and the PM forum I also frequent. I hope to be able to contribute some on the forum and thanks for the wonderful community you guys seem to have here.

Thanks,
Aaron

Welcome Aaron. and thanks for the thoughtful introduction. Sounds like you have all the basic skills and just need the time and inclination to get the rust off of them and start honing them again. Jump right in and don't be afraid to ask questions....someone here will usually have an answer.

Regards,
Bill

Bill, thank you very much for the warm welcome.

- Aaron

Aaron,

Welcome to our forum.

Best Regards
Bob

Poking around in here has got me already trying to visualize what I would need to make for my Lathe to build the Radial IC I would like to scratch design and build without having a proper Mill. This could be a very interesting puzzle to work out.

- Aaron

Latest posts

Back