HOW TO BUILD A Rope climbing mechanical robot(non-electrical) suggestions.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhen28

Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to know if anyone have any good idea or suggestions on building a rope climbing robot?

Its easy zzz
Step 1 Post an introduction as per the forum rules. Tell us about youself where you live and what machinery you have.

Step 2. Be a bit more specific. What will this robot be used for, speed of climb, thickness of rope etc

Basically i'm from malaysia and a mechanical engineering student. I have a second year project to build one device that can climb up a sash cord tether.

The sash cord tether is 8mm thick and the device need to climb up to 1800mm.
There are no restriction in the components use. but preferable stuff that can be found easily.
The device have a weight limit of 3kg.
the time of climb must be less than 2 minutes.
the device need to be attached to the sash cord tether throughout the climb.

I just need some rough idea about how to start building it.

How about two spring loaded arms with soft rubber tires on the ends. The two arms are pivotted at the end opposite the tires and a spring clamps them together so that the sash cord passes between the two tires. This will give you the friction you need----Now power one or both of the tires and drag a battery pack behind?

I am guessing that you are a modern student of instant communication via the internet and expect Google to do your project for you. Since you posted this on a model engine forum ( a most unlikely source), how many hundreds of fora did you post this same request on?

You are asking for help for a simple problem with many solutions. If you need help with this, you might one to reassess your career plans.

Hi Brian. That was my first thought but then I saw " non electric" in the heading. That only leaves a clockwork system that I can think of. Interesting brain teaser ???

Put a rubber band motor on it!!!----Or put a mouse trap motor on it.---Tie a helium balloon to it.----Put a parachute on it and blow up from below with a fan---Put a propeller on it hooked to a gear reduction that drives the wheels and blow up from underneath with a fan.---Tie a dollar bill to it and strap a tax collector to the floor----

Welcome ZZZZZ, Whatever design you 'settle upon', I'm certain that you will share it with all of us here at HMEM. Pictures of your progress would be interesting to see as well. Best of luck.

BC1
Jim

Something like tall case clock weights with chain mechanism
Stan

Latest posts

Back