How can you be too good?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodster

Reaction score
Just had some feedback from a working interview I had yesterday for a manual turner position. Bear in mind i haven't touched a machine tool for 14 years so i was a bit apprehensive to say the least. I spent the morning machining a few large cast iron valve caps for temperature control valves for submarines and a couple of hours making a few plunger pins with a +.001" - .000" tolerance on a 1/4" diameter, All parts mid limit on every dimension, no scrappers and well below time on the process card. Apparently, I'm too skilled for the job! If the job was to show up all the existing employees and show them how to do the job properly i would have been hired on the spot!!
Baffled!!:confused:

Sorry bout that bloke

Been told similar thing before. Had a briliant sounding job handed to somebody who then stuffed right up. was told I was unsuitable and overqualified.

I've heard of being overqualified for some jobs, like working at mcDonalds, becasue they figure you won't stay. I'd think being too good at a manual machine job is different, though, but I guess they're afraid you'll take a better job as soon as one comes up.

I can't be over qualified as i don't have any Engineering qualifications, other than school exams. Went straight from school into a machine shop at 15 and stayed in engineering until i was 29. Nice to know i can still do it though after a 14 year break.

As a business owner, at times I did hire the less qualfied person. I called it "The Fit" and that was what I was looking for. An example was I needed a B type truck mechanic, capable of doing brake jobs, clutch jobs, electrical etc. in comes a 60 year old A guy surely knowledegable and all but not what I was looking for. He did not get the the job because I wanted a B guy.

The next month an A guy gave notice, first call went to the 60 yr old A guy just whom I needed.

Thats life, unfortunatly

Thing is, they were looking for a turner as they had tried a couple of guys out that "talked the talk" but couldn't "walk the walk".

Back