Silver Bullet in Utah

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been about six months since I set this project aside for the sake of travel and other fun diversions. I had a fabulous time in New Zealand, followed with trips to Death Valley, the Sierras, and the ancient native American ruins in Arizona, Utah and New Mexico. It's time to get back to work. Here are the photos from making the crankshaft.

Turning the crank was easier than I had expected. I did most of the turning with my partoff blade.

I supported the webs with a snug fitting piece of steel, and then using CA glue to hold it in place. A little heat from a propane torch made it easy to remove.

The crank is essentially finished. Once again, I encountered a lot of errors on my version of the drawings, which called for the crankshaft to be longer one way than it is the other. I hope I picked the right numbers to use. Other photos on this site show crankshafts with OD threads on each end, but my drawings call for an OD thread on one end and an ID thread on the other. I'm assuming the others are made to a more recent revision.

Bob

The crank is essentially finished. Once again, I encountered a lot of errors on my version of the drawings, which called for the crankshaft to be longer one way than it is the other. I hope I picked the right numbers to use. Other photos on this site show crankshafts with OD threads on each end, but my drawings call for an OD thread on one end and an ID thread on the other. I'm assuming the others are made to a more recent revision.

Bob[/quote]

Nice work on the crank
Mine is the same as yours internal thread on front of the crank
Maybe other people just changed the way it was made to suit them selves

Looking good anyway Bob

Looking forward to more pics as you progress

michael

Bob,
Great build log. This one is on my bucket list.
Mike

This is the first time that I've made a camshaft, but since the whole process went smoother and faster than I had expected, I'm wondering if I did something wrong, or skipped a couple of steps!;) Actually, the offset fixture made it pretty easy, and it was only mildly tedious to remove it from the lathe to rotate the camshaft every 5 degrees after every pass. Cutting the first lobe took about an hour, but the last one took only 30 minutes.

Bob

Hi I am new to the web site it happens I found the silver bullet kit and quickly bought it. I discovered your post on the web site after I studied the plans for 3 days I am not a real novice but this is not injection mold repair either. Some of the changes i have seen are very professional. I have had a question about oiling if I do something I will diffently post. I have never done this type of relating so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I am so thickled . Charley

Charley,

I just got my Silver Bullet running again. It was highly modified but one addition I thought made particular sense was to add two long 5/40 schs on each side of the main bearings to help hold the bottom half to the top. They are countersunk and are just outboard of the main bearings.

Good luck with the build. If I can help let me know.

John

thanks John, I like the lower end support idea. I have notice a couple other places where a little modifications would improve stability. I will work on idea first, I have started on block, coming along fine. I modified the camshaft cutting fixture but have no yet tried it out. I'm not good a posting pictures yet but if it work out I will try and post them with description. I am having fun and thanks every one for help.

Charley

Back