Homebrew boring bar holder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvom

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until today I didn't have a good way to bore on my lathe. I previously made an aluminum holder to use with a broken endmill, but that didn't ever work very well, and the endmill is 1/2" diameter which elminated small holes. So I tended to rely on reaming to get a precise hole.

A while back I purchased a couple of "micro" carbide boring bars from a seller on PM, but they had lain unused for lack of a holder. Today I decided to make one. Here's the larger bar. The shank is 5/16" diameter and about 1.5" long:

medium.jpg

I started with a 3" piece of 1" diameter 12L14 steel that I faced and drilled/reamed on the lathe. Then I chucked it in the milling vise and milled a 1/4" flat on the top. Following this I center drilled and drilled 7 holes on the flat for set screws. The next step was to clamp the bar with the flat against the fixed jaw and mill the relief cuts. They are ~3/8 wide and test fit on the AXA tool holder. Finally I tapped the holes for 5-40 set screws. Here's the assemblage:

medium.jpg

Note that the boring bar has a flat on the top, so that the set screws assure a horizontal alignment of the cutting surface. I also cut both the side reliefs at the same time so that the holder will mount squarely on the AXA holder.

Mounted on the QCTP:

medium.jpg

I use the quill of the tailstock to align the holder, and thus the boring bar, with the ways. After adjusting for height, a first practice cut produced an excellent result. I'm pretty happy with 90 minutes or so of shop work to make this. The other boring bar is a lot smaller, so I think I can make a bushing that will allow me to use it in the same holder.

medium.jpg

why not just get a couple of qc boring bar holders from CDCO for 9 bucks each for AXA size just put a piece of shim stock on the top side to prevent cracking the carbide.
Tin

Looks really good, Kvom.
For your smaller diameter boring bars, you can bore/ream a piece of round stock for the smaller size, then split it down its length so it will squeeze the tool shank when you tighten the set screws.

Dean

Nice holder there, kvom.

What took you so long? ;D

Tin Falcon said:
why not just get a couple of qc boring bar holders from CDCO for 9 bucks each for AXA size just put a piece of shim stock on the top side to prevent cracking the carbide.
Tin

Why not just buy completed model engines? :eek:

Good one kvom :bow:

IMHO it's always a great sense of satisfaction when you make your own tools etc.

Best Regards
Bob

I coudn't agree more - besides, you end up with what YOU want, not what some manufacturer thinks you want.

That holder is 'kewl'. Besides that, you saved on the "overstuffed" shipping charges if you purchased ready made holders. :big:

BC1
Jim

Back