Holt radiator fan, mounting and shroud

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I had my Holt engine at the NAMES show last month. I ran it almost constantly for the 2 days. I can get about 5 minutes out of it before it gets quite warm. On several occasions people would ask if I could start it and I told them it had to cool down some so they asked why it didn't have a fan. I told them it was one of those things I had to get to since this engine is still a work in progress. Last week I finished up some projects and sat down and designed a fan and mounting system along with a shroud for the radiator. As everything else is built from billet aluminum this was no exception. I wanted it to look like it was part of the engine so I created little brackets and pieces to keep everything interesting. The first few pictures show the main support bracket being machined.
HOLTRADA.jpg

HOLTRADB.jpg

HOLTRADC.jpg

HOLTRADG.jpg

HOLTRADK.jpg

The next set of pictures show the bearing support being machined. I designed it for ball bearings because of the speed it might need to run. I also wanted it to look like something that might be found on the original so although it's one piece I added the bolt bosses to make it look like it was a split type housing. I drilled and counterbored one end for the bearing and left extra stock on it so that I could rechuck it in the lathe to counterbore the other end. I stepped around the bosses and used the diameter of the extra stock to cut the radial shape on the top. The bottom is square so that it locates in the notch in the upright frame. It has one 6-32 flathead screw from the bottom to hold it together. It can't go anywhere because it fits snuggly in the notch. After machining I filed and sanded everything up.
HOLTRADL.jpg

HOLTRADM.jpg

HOLTRADN.jpg

HOLTRADO.jpg

HOLTRADP.jpg

Next came the mounting brackets to hold the upright to the wooden frame that the engine sits on. Not much to say about this operation, just machining aluminum bar stock.
HOLTRADQ.jpg

HOLTRADR.jpg

HOLTRADT.jpg

HOLTRADV.jpg

HOLTRADX.jpg

Next came the spindle, pulleys and fan. The spindle is made from 12L steel and has a retainer with a set screw to hold it in place in the bearing support. The pulleys are aluminum and are grooved for the appropriate sized 'O' ring much like the water pump drive.
HOLTRADY.jpg

HOLTRADZ.jpg

HOLTRADZA.jpg

Next came the fan shroud. When I first made the radiator from the Jerry Howell design he showed a couple of little tabs on the support brackets for a fan shroud. At the time I wasn't going to put them on but I'm glad now that I did. I started with a rectangular piece of aluminum. I layed out the center of the fan location and mounted it in my 4 jaw chuck picking up the layed out center mark. I started turning the outside first because had I bored out the center first I was afraid that the pressure on the chuck jaws would have collapsed the side walls. It was a slow process because the part was so far off center that I took .030 cuts due to the intermittant cuts. Once I got close I took out the pointed tool and put in a radiused tool to finish up and put a fillet at the base of the circular area. I then started boring out the center. I only went deep enough to leave .125 in the bottom for the reason stated above. I knew that when I later machined the backside this extra stock would come out anyway. Once it was bored to size I removed it from the lathe and put it in the vise on the mill. I started cutting the back side out and left a bar across the center to help keep things ridgid. My buddy stopped over and was watching what I was doing and said "why don't you leave that bar in there, it looks like something they would have done when they made it". I agreed and that's why you see the bar there. After the back was cleared out I clamped it to my mill table and relieved the side with a 7 degree cutter and radiused the edges, except where it was going to mount to the radiator bracket. Some filing, sanding and polishing and this is the finished product. The only thing left was to drill and tap the mounting hole for it.
HOLTRADZC.jpg

HOLTRADZD.jpg

The final few pictures are with everything assembled. The only thing left to do is make new water lines because I had to move the radiator up and forward to get all this in.
HOLTRADZE.jpg

HOLTRADZF.jpg

HOLTRADZH.jpg

HOLTRADZK.jpg

HOLTRADZL.jpg

HOLTRADZN.jpg

I think the Holt is just about finished. I just have to get my remade carb sorted out and she'll be done. I have thought about painting it like some of the others I've seen but I just like the look of the natural metal too much.
gbritnell

Here's one more shot from the opposite side.
gbritnell
HOLTRADZO.jpg

Very nicely done. I'm sure it will make a big difference. :bow:

gbritnell,

I'm gobsmacked. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

gbritnell,

As usual, I am simply awestruck by your work. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Bob

A masterpiece...!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:
Cheers Paolo

I have nothing to add. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Ron

Almost every time I log on here I see something that amazes me.
This goes far beyond that!

Beautiful!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Rick

What a wonderful model, yet again :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

Gbritnell, Your work is unreal, But makes me want to send all my tools to the town dump. Could you please show a few screw ups so "metal butchers" like myself would feel better.Painting while making that engine look more to scale would cover up all the time you have put into it. It's a huge effort to obtain a high quality raw metal finish and would be a shame to cover it up.

Pete

Thank you gentlemen for all the plaudits. Pete, I would like to answer your question about screw-ups. I make them the same as everyone else. You have to step back and take a look at how much thought goes into making a part. Initially you have to layout a casting or piece of stock, that takes math and figuring what the steps of machining will be. You don't want to as I call it 'paint yourself into a corner'. By that I mean you have to figure out what stock to remove and what to leave so you can still chuck the part. Next is mounting in the machine, whether mill or lathe. What do I use, 4 jaw chuck, 3 jaw, face plate? How do I center the work or how do I offset the work. More math, more figuring. Now which tooling to use, is it on center, is it ridgid enough? Next comes most everyone's curse, tapping small holes. What I'm getting at here is this hobby is, whether we realize it or not, quite an exacting discipline. It's not like cutting the grass or painting a fence. When a project involves the making of numerous pieces and they all involve what has been stated, then the possibility of error is always there. The times that I have messed up a part was because of lack of concentration. Maybe the phone rang in the middle of cutting something, maybe your wife had a question, maybe you just had too many things on your mind. One of the biggest 'almost blunders' of mine, of late, was the making of the camshaft for the Holt. I took the print information (minimal at least) and redesigned it. I have AutoCad on my computer so I layed everything out, lobe shape, lobe centerlines, duration etc. My method for making a cam is making a step off chart and machining it with my mill and rotary table. I prepped my stock, chucked it up and started making my cuts. I got half way through the cam and was admiring how well it was coming out when I realized that I shouldn't be rotating my rotary table in the direction I was going. What was going on? I stopped and checked my step off chart, it was OK. but why was it rotating in the opposite direction of what it would be when installed in the engine? AHA!! I drew the lobes, intake and exhaust in the wrong sequence. @#$)%#. After cooling down and rethinking things I realized that the cam was symmetrical in shape, meaning that it didn't have a different shaped end shaft outboard of the last set of lobes. This one was easy, just turn the cam about face and put the timing gear on the other end. So what you see is the finished product, mistakes, of course, just keep on making chips and realize that we all make them.
gbritnell

Geo, I've been a fan of your work for a long time. Your machining is only exceeded by your imagination and ability to design and make it work. Your attention to small details really make your work stand out. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Back