HOLDING SMALL STUDS

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird

Reaction score
Hi

I'm trying to make some small studs, the photo shows a first attempt and the crude drawing (not to scale) gives the size. To Hold the 3/32 stainless steel rod in the lathe I took the 3 jaw chuck off and fitted a drill chuck on 2 morse taper in the mandril. Threading the first end using a tail stock mounted die holder is no problem but after parting off its extremely difficult to hold the little blighter to thread the other end without damaging the thread or the shank. I've tried screwing the threaded end into a piece of drilled and tapped steel held in the 3 jaw and then threading the other end but then I have difficulty getting it out of the steel without damaging the stud, in fact the last one snapped off! I'd be grateful for any ideas how to hold them.

DSC06333.jpg

STUD.jpg

Cheers

firebird I've made a few. My methods were crude, but they worked for me.
I threaded the first end in with the chuck on all 6 of them. For the second side
I screwed two hex nuts on the threaded end with the flats in line. Chucking on
the flats of the nuts with the 3 jaw held it straight enough to thread the other end.
It did force the one nut tight on the first end. To remove it, I put two nuts on the
newly threaded end and jammed them together. Then I was able to break the stud
loose from the nut on the opposite end.

I told you it was crude! :D

Rick

Hi FB,
Another way to try would be a split bush, held in your 3 jaw, it shouldn't do any damage at all, and only takes a few minutes to make.

John

Hi , like John says, but try a hex nut (maybe a home made one ,longer than a normal one) split with a hacksaw, or slitting saw ,on one face ,that should give you enough grip with the 3-jaw chuck ,then you can easily use a small wedge in the slit to get the stud out if the nut is not springy enough....Giles

Hi

thanks for the tips, I'll put them into practice at the weekend.

Cheers

A collet would be perfect!

In fact a job I worked on today was a more or less a larger version of your studs. The parts were threaded on both ends. 1-1/4 - 7, right hand thread on one end and left hand thread on the opposite end. The the middle area was milled hex for a wrench. To do the mill work without damaging the threads I used a collet holder with a 1-1/4 collet to chuck it up in the machine.

Rick

I think the split nut, or bushing, is the way to go for this job. Another way to do it though, especially for an oddball or one-off job, is to wrap a piece of wire into the thread and then chuck on that.

Another advantage of this method is that it holds on the pitch diameter of the thread instead of the crests. So it can hold the thread truly concentric with the spindle axis when that is important.

Rick

Hi all

Thanks again to everyone for the tips. Haven't been out in the shop for a while so not had a chance to try out any ideas. I have got a few days off over the xmas period so will try then.

Cheers

Hi there ,the lantern chuck is a very useful bit of kit! ,but for Firebirds problem, IMO the best way is a split threaded nut or collet ,even with a flange that sits against the chuck jaws, it won't damage anything! and it's extremely quick and simple to make. I also have Tubal Cain's above mentioned book, well worth buying, as are his other publications, full of a lifetimes experience!....Giles

I'm no expert at this, as I usualy run big(24"-60") lathes, but the split nut sounds good and the wire around the threads is one I'm going to remember.
lwbates

Hi

sorry I haven't replied for a while but Iv'e been busy as you will see.

My thanks to everyone who replied with help and ideas.

I tried a small drill chuck in place of the 3 jaw but it simply wouldn't grip well enough. My first attempt at a holder was to drill and tap a stub of steel, screw the stud in and then thread the other end. After threading the first stud I couldn't get it out without damaging it. The second stud snapped of in the stub! Back to the drawing board. Several further attempts were made. split bushes/collets etc but none worked well enough. Considering that I have got to make 20 or so studs of this size I decided to make a 'proper job of it'. The following series of photos should be self explanitary.

Iv'e posted a question in the Q & A section if anybody could give me some advice I'd be most grateful.

The stub and early attempts at split bushes

DSC06450.jpg

DSC06421.jpg

DSC06410.jpg

DSC06416.jpg

Turning and drilling

DSC06424.jpg

Milling a slot across

DSC06426.jpg

Milling shoulders

DSC06428.jpg

Drilling for cap head bolts

DSC06431.jpg

Cutting off the cap with a slitting saw

DSC06432.jpg

Tapping threads in lower part

DSC06435.jpg

The finished tool

DSC06439.jpg

The tool in use

DSC06445.jpg

A finished stud

DSC06448.jpg

Cheers

Great job!!! I'll have to store that in the back of my brain and hope it dosen't get lost.

Wes

Firebird,

That is a nice way to hold the studs. I wouldn't have thought of it.

Kenny

After the first side is threaded put a stub in the three jaw, drill and tap it put a nut on the the stud and screw it into the stub and tighten the nut, after cutting the other thread just loosen the nut and the stud fill come out. this method guarantees the studs are centered without having to center a holder in a 4 jaw chuck.

Hi

Iv'e tried screwing the stud into a stub (see above photos) with no success. There isn't enough thread to fit a nut on as well. Maybe they are breaking off because I'm using stainless steel, Is more brittle?. Anyway Iv'e now made a handful of studs on the new holder and it works a treat.

Thanks again to all who have replied

Cheers

Back