Hoglet valve timing.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lantain1982

Reaction score
Greetings all,
Having completed my Hoglet and had some success in getting it to fire/back fire/ run rough/ stop/ won`t fire/and when it does run it seems to be a very harsh struggle.
I am in envy of those owners that have a Hoglet that just ticks a way.
I am seeking an explantion from Hoglet runners of how to set the valve gear, as I consider this is my downfall.
Would appreciate any assistance.
Thank you. lantain1982

If it is anything like full sized Hog engines, you would need to put a degree wheel on the crankshaft and set it to 0 at TDC on the front cylinder. Then set up a dial indicator on each cam follower/lifter and rotate the engine slowly, noting the degrees at which each valve opens and closes. Then repeat for the rear cylinder. Then compare the result with the timing chart/specs for your engine. Adjustment method is usually either alter the mesh of the cam gear with the pinion gear for coarse adjustment, and rotate the cam gear on the cam shaft for fine adjustment.

Check your ignition timing while you have the degree wheel mounted.

Reactions: gus
PS, another thing you can play around with is setting the tappets very loose, like .025" etc. This has the effect of valves opening later, closing earlier and not lifting so far, all of which might help low speed running.

Reactions: gus
PS, another thing you can play around with is setting the tappets very loose, like .025" etc. This has the effect of valves opening later, closing earlier and not lifting so far, all of which might help low speed running.

Hi Hopper.

Thanks for this tip. Will be test firing both spark plugs on the Howell V-2 . Will be dry run.Would love to run at low speeds.

Retarded spark will help starting and slow running too, on the full sized Hogs. My old 1942 model has manual spark advance/retard. It starts best in about the middle of the advance range, about 15-20 degrees BTDC and once running, idles best at full retard, which is about right on TDC.

Hello Hopper,
Thank you for your advice re setting up valve timing in a more definitive manner.
Currently sorting out a couple of mechanical isues before getting back tofiring up efforts.
Cheers, Lantain 1982.

Back