Hit & Miss IC engines.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziemod

Brian
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I am in need of some advice re my quarter scale Galloway engine, I am getting close to finished and need to think about the electrics for the igniter, my thoughts are to use the primary side of a normal 12volt auto coil for the low tension coil.
If this would be ok is it better to use an older type (Pre resistor) or the later resistor type, with or without a resistor?
Or what other methods have been used by constructers of this engine,
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
ozziemod

You can use the balast out of an old flurescent light fitting which I have done in the past.

On my 1/3rd scale galloway I got the guys at Minimag to wind me a low tension coil which is a lot neater and fits the scale box along with a 6v sealed battery.

IMAG2384_zps2c2448df.jpg

IMAG2434_zps764493a0.jpg

You can just see tha coil from the light fitting in the background of this video

Brian, I did not think you had done any engines with an ignitor, The galloway needs a low tension coil not a high tension that is used with spark plugs.

J

Reactions: gus
Although my model isn't running, I do have a number of full-size H&M engines. I buy old motorcycle coils at sawp meets and such for a couple bucks. They're compact, potted to keep out moisture, and they're pretty small. You can use the primary side alone for a low-tension setup or use the coil whole by replaceing the plug wire with something smaller (assuming you get the ones with removable wires).

Thank you for all your reply's, you pretty much confirm my thoughts re coils for this engine, all I have to do now is finish it and try it.
regards to all,
ozziemod

Hi All,
I finished the Galloway some ten months ago but could not get it to keep running with the igniter, it would start ok and usually run until the first governor created miss, when it kicked back in it would just die, no amount of adjustment of governor spring tension would or many other adjustments would cure it so in the end I removed the igniter made a cam and set of points and converted it to spark plug ignition and it now runs very nicely, hitting and missing as it should. attached is a pic of the engine still with igniter in place.
Ozziemod:)

Finished Galloway engine 001.jpg

This sounds more like a fuel problem. Check to see if gas is flowing back to tank when engine is coasting. It may need a check valve in fuel line.

Reactions: gus
Thanks guys for your comments much appreciated, food for thought Tom.

Latest posts

Back