Hit me - Miss me?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harold & Chuck.

Thanks for the support guys. :bow: :bow:

Yes, on a scale of 1 - 10 I'd give the pain an 8 or 9.

My partner in tanks is having a sojourn to Singapore and Taiwan so I am holding the fort. No modeling - too busy on the repairs to tanks. They may be OK on most modes of transport but the Simpson Desert sure sorts them out, more cracks in the frame than you can poke a stick at, plus of course a roll over, which was a write off, with all the attendant documentation.

Best Regards
Bob

Bob, I am more than happy that your feeling better!

What in the world is contained in one of these tanks....and what do the tanks look like?....and how does the Simpson Desert sort them?....Inquiring minds gotta know!

;D

Dave

Hi Dave

I hope Bob won't mind if I chip in on his thread.
Over here the word tank has a lot of uses, generally describing something that contains some sort of a liquid a few examples for you below.

ozprodrivers_image_road_train_fuel_tanker_3_trailer.jpg

WaterTankTrailers_002.jpg

watertankonstand.jpg

Tank.jpg

That last one is an earth wall water tank 500 meters x 500 meters probably 3 to 4 meters deep in the cotton growing area near Dalby Queensland.

The Simpson Desert - it's just a rough sandy patch along the road between Mt Isa and Adelaide roughly the size of US state of Texas (not the Town in Queensland) Tends to Break trucks that aren't well built.

Hopefully Bob can fill in anything I left out.

Bez

imagesqtbnANd9GcS6tXZh0c2gvkXfzogzI.jpg

Most bulk liquids from wine and spirit through to some of the very nasty acids and bases associated mostly with mining. They hold an average 26000l or around 6800 US gals.

There are minimal if any roads to some of the drill sites where the tanks are swapped. The rigidity of the tank versus the flexibility of the trailer means they are overloaded on each corner and the frames stress crack.

A 20' shipping container is a box with 4 corner posts. Instead of a box, a tank is mounted in the same sized frame and corner posts hence anything capable of carrying a 20' shipping container can carry these tanks i.e. road, rail and sea. They are logistically handled in exactly the same way as a shipping container.

Because they are a pressure vessel, especially the ones used for various gases, they are subject to a high degree of testing and control as well as stringent cleaning procedures. Usually, once a tank is used for food grade products it remains in that area for its' life, (around 20 years). The worst thing is that edible oils fit the food grade category and cleaning for a next cargo of say Ethanol is a right PITA as is certifying cleanliness after such an operation.

Aren't you glad you asked ;D

Best Regards
Bob

Aren't you glad you asked

YES actually I am! I was familiar with the road train trucks and such and of course all the other forms of "tank" but was curious as to which ones you had to deal with. Now I know.

Didn't know they made them "container" size, but that makes perfect sense.

Thanks Mate!

Dave

Woo Hoo,

The springs are sprung ;D ;D

Apologies for the terrible photo Only had my phone and I suppose it's better than nothing. :p

Spring.jpg

I used the LH sparey set up for the springs found in his book "The Amateurs lathe." In addition I had a back block of hardwood which enabled better control of the tension.

Best Regards
Bob

Any picture is better than none. Must be getting close to completion now Bob.

Good to see you back on deck Bob.

Rgds - Gavin

Herbie and Gavin,

Thanks for the continued support. :bow: :bow:

Stardate 2511001111J

Opened my idleshop door and bugger me old H&M was sitting right where I left it 3 weeks ago :eek:

I think there should be a carby in here somewhere :p

DSCF1533.jpg

Yep just enough for the body. :D

DSCF1534.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

all down hill now mate :)
looking Good :bow:
Pete

Feels good to be back in the shed doesn't it. Looking forward to seeing it run Bob.

Brock

Hi Bob,I am really enjoying following this build of yours.Thanks for sharing.

Ian

Hi Bob,

Found this build thread a few weeks ago and was inspired to join the forum ;D although a little daunted by the work in this build as I purchased this set of plans a couple of months ago :eek:
Keep up the good work mate, hope you have no copywrite on some of your mods ::)

Terry

As usual, a day late and a dollar short! I just found this thread and will be following it through to the conclusion. I plan to start reading at the beginning over Xmas and read through to the end. I would start now but I need some shed time after reading the thread on Chuck's Plumbing Parts engine.

Good luck Bob, and Merry Xmas
Jim

Pete, Brock, Ian, Terry & Jim,

Thanks guys for your input and support. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I am sorry things have been quiet on the model front but with the silly season almost upon us I have been sidetracked into all sorts of things that have made my workshop busy with 12":1ft.

Best Regards
Bob

No worries Bob....I know where your at! ;D

Nice looking carb blank....I like the shoes too! ;D

Dave

Nice to see the shoe shot, Bob, just to know you're still at it!

Dean

Deanofid said:
Nice to see the shoe shot, Bob, just to know you're still at it!

Dean

Yep, the old Boiler Boot shuffle................I'm so thrilled you and steamer noticed. ::)

A little more.

The carby blank and a bit of copper for the exhaust. I stopped off at Hobby Habit on my way home and found a needle valve and body from a model race car engine which looks about right so I will fit that next week.

DSCF1538.jpg

Thanks to Herbiev I have some Corian and used it for making the points block insulators.........Thanks Herb.

DSCF1539.jpg

DSCF1541.jpg

Next week may see me amp up and then it's Xmas.............................so......................

MERRY XMAS TO ALL

Best Regards
Bob

You are most welcome Bob. Thank you for all the valuable advice with my build. Merry Christmas to you and Galina and to all the HMEM members out there.

Thank you Bob, I have read right through from the start and it has been (and still is) a great journey. Best reading for a while. I even took it with me on our annual Ho Ho Ho run to see the family in Sydney; it helped to keep me (relatively) sane.

Seeing you deal with the problems and reading the comments from others who also do not always get everything right first time gives me heart; it is not just me.

Merry Xmas and I will be watching to see it running.

Jim

Back