Hit me - Miss me?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob, your engine is sure shaping up nicely. I really admire a person's ability to weld up an engine and make it look like castings. Keep it up!!!

Harold

Swarfdweller said:
??? paint and bling :'( I thought that was something the missus does :big:
Terry

No Terry... When the missus does it we call that "Lipstick & Mascara". Paint and bling is a guy thing. Think of some of the rock stars with all of the gold chains and big rings. ;)

Terry, Brock, Steve, tel, Dave and Harold.

Thanks to you all for your input, support and kind words. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

I wish I was at the Bling/ paint stage. With your workmanship it requires very little bling and a bit of paint. Mine is a different kettle of fish. Is there any such thing as colored bling? :big:

Herbiev said:
With your workmanship it requires very little bling and a bit of paint.

That's coz you haven't seen it up close. :eek:

Another day and a small step forward.

The points block and striker.

DSCF1557.jpg

When I looked at this photo, I'm glad I took it. As you can see my small OS caliper points need refurbishing. :mad:

DSCF1558.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Guys,

Today saw me silver solder the points striker to the water tank side. Thanks to Moanaman, (Barry G), for his kind donation of a couple of sticks of silver solder. By silver solder I mean hard solder or as some of us call it................ Silver Brazing.

Looking back over things I've missed I realised I hadn't drilled the water cooling holes for the head. Got that done too.

Just when I think I'm ready to assemble for a trial, I think of something else, like a couple of oilers for the mains. Those little fiddly bits take an amount of time inversely proportional to their size.

Best Regards
Bob

Sounds like you are very close to getting her running Bob,
Do you mind if I pull up a chair? :)
Pete

Those little fiddly bits take an amount of time inversely proportional to their size.
Too true...

Thm: Glad to see you're getting a bit more shop time of late Bob.

Kind regards, Arnold

Good stuff Bob, it's good to see it's getting close. FYI - It's big brothers will be on display at the "Power of the Past" at Mt. Barker in a month.

Sounds like you are very close to getting her running Bob,
Do you mind if I pull up a chair? Smiley
Pete

Just bring your own peanuts Pete!

I'll bring the popcorn and we can split it!
;D

Keep at it Bob....your almost there. th_wav

Dave

Popcorn, peanuts and a little beer :big:
This could be a good show! ;D
Pete

Pete, Arnold, Gavin, Tel & Dave,

Thanks guys :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Today I made a start on the fuel tank. The tank is the easy bit once agin its all the add on's like fillers, syphons and breathers.

Forgot the camera AGAIN :-[

Best Regards
Bob

That's my trick Bob, every time I do some thing I look at it and realize I forgot to take pictures doh :-X
Terry

Hi there Bob,
I too have only just caught up with your extremely well communicated thread, you have set a very high bar for the rest of us meer swarf dwelling chip makers (speaking for myself of course).
Mate, I would be so proud if I only got a piece of metal to make a noise (putter putter) but hey, I guess you started there somewhere to, so I will continue to follow your build with utter awe and try to emulate the quality of your building talents.
Cheers
Graham

p.s. do you have threads on previous builds ? :bow:
When do we see it run ? pleeaaasssseeeeee.

Terry,

Thanks for your support :bow: This week I brought the camera :eek:

Graham,

Thanks for stopping by and your kind words of encouragement. :bow: There are a couple of others, "Maryak 10" and "3cc diesel my 1st ICE." They are both in the "Work in Progress" section somewhere.

Real work got in the way today so not much to show..................Isn't it the way, leave the camera at home and you could have shot a few, bring it and lucky to get 1 shot.

And here is this Cecile B DeMille rendition of the bits for the fuel tank.

DSCF1559.jpg

I also managed to make a start on the mandrels to have a go at metal spinning the end plate flanges. The thing should also double as a hanger oner for machining the ends circular, (I hope).

Best Regards
Bob

Dave,

Thanks for your continued interest. :bow:

After a small interruption whilst I replaced the rear vision mirror on a vintage US car, (bloody great big thing of chrome and steel, with a smallish side valve six cylinder), I did manage to make my mandrel and had my 1st go at metal spinning.

Here is the mandrel which grips the disc. The 120grit emery is held on with super glue.

DSCF1564.jpg

The disc mounted and turned to size

DSCF1565.jpg

After spinning the 1st end plate, this is a mock up showing the tool and post. I was very surprised at how much pressure it took to actually fold over the end. To do this all day I'd want a much longer bar and a bigger lathe.

DSCF1566.jpg

The end plate fitted to the tank

DSCF1567.jpg

I did manage to make the other end before I called it a day as the shop reached blood heat.

Best Regards
Bob

It probably looks better spun, but I just gently tapped it over with a hammer and a block of wood. Hardly left any marks and they were easily removed. Besides, they are all inside the tube and they help with the soldering.

Jim

Looks great Bob!

I've been meaning to make two spun brass cylinder covers for my launch engine....just never got up the gumption....

Next Winter's project!

That looked like it went pretty well, ...did you just polish a sphere onto the rod?
And were you able to do it in one go, or did you have to anneal it in between?

I like the simple tool rest for it......and the shoes of coarse... ;D

Dave

Great work Bob, I read the other day that proper spinning tools are 4 feet or more long and are placed right up to your armpit so you can lean on it with your full weight scratch.gif
obviously needs more power Thm:

Regards
Terry

Latest posts

Back