Hit me - Miss me?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great work Bob. I appreciate the collet closer discussion here. My friend who recently put me onto a 1940's vintage Logan Lathe is building a collet closer for it. I am new enough at all of this that I did not appreciate how handy they can be.

How much longer will it take for me to know everything :big: ?

God give me patience and please hurry.

Cheers,
Phil

A couple of gook looking valve guides, Bob. I knew you'd enjoy the collet setup!

Dean

Collets are items you wonder how you got along without...once you have them.

Nice progress Bob.

Dave

Bob, you got me thinking I need to get to work on my ER40 collet chuck form my 11" Logan. I bought a piece of 3" diameter 12L14 just for that but haven't gotten started yet. Nice work on the engine. Sure slows things down when you have to keep stopping to build a tool, huh?

Chuck

Just a little off topic here.

For the last couple of years, I have been using ball raced collet nuts. I don't know if they are available in your part of the world, but I use this supplier a lot, and he provides a very good service.

He does them in a variety of sizes, and once the very sharp internal edges have worn off, they really are a great thing. You can actually hand tighten almost enough for the cutter to be held tight enough to be used. It allows you to get around the 'three hands required' syndrome when mounting a cutter in the mill.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ER25-collet-c...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item563e11340a

They are usually in limited quantities, so you have to get them when available. He normally does them in ER 25, 32 & 40.

Bogs

arnoldb said:
Glad you like the collet chuck!
And a neat example of a home-made D-bit reamer as well ;D
Regards, Arnold

Thanks Arnold :bow: It's always gratifying when your own tooling does the job. After your very fine effort with the Rotary Table I am sure you know that better than me. ;D

Philjoe5 said:
GI appreciate the collet closer discussion here. My friend who recently put me onto a 1940's vintage Logan Lathe is building a collet closer for it. I am new enough at all of this that I did not appreciate how handy they can be.
Phil

Phil, Thanks for looking in. :bow:.......... A bit like a carriage stop for a lathe, when you have one you wonder how you ever survived without one.

Deanofid said:
I knew you'd enjoy the collet setup!
Dean

Dean, Thanks for the continued support :bow:...................How right you are. ;)

steamer said:
Collets are items you wonder how you got along without...once you have them.
Dave

Dave Thanks for the input. :bow: Well at least I won't die wondering will I. ???

cfellows said:
Bob, you got me thinking I need to get to work on my ER40 collet chuck form my 11" Logan. I bought a piece of 3" diameter 12L14 just for that but haven't gotten started yet. Nice work on the engine. Sure slows things down when you have to keep stopping to build a tool, huh?
Chuck

Chuck, Thanks for stopping by and the kind words. :bow: You sure are right about progressus interuptus. Much slower and I'll be in reverse. :eek: Still it was worth it and I won't have it to do again.

Bogstandard said:
Just a little off topic here.
Bogs

John, Thanks for the info :bow:.... it's all grist for the mill, not to mention valuable information.

Thanks again everyone.

Best Regards
Bob

Good job on the collet chuck. Now when I can find some time I'll make one.

Here time, come on time, come here boy. ;D ;D ;D

Ron

Hi Guys,

Ozzie, thanks for stopping by and your support. :bow:

Today was one of those days when you seem to be flat out but not achieving very much. :mad: Every set up seemed to take twice as long as it should. Still the head is almost done, just a couple of threads to tap for the carby and exhaust pipe.

The spark plug fitted to the head.

IMG_1338.jpg

Pressing the valve guides into the head. (What a pain in the posterior it was :eek:)

IMG_1339.jpg

A couple of views of the inserted valve guides.

IMG_1340.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

Ehjoy your hot summer in the North and for us on the other half try not to drown or freeze.

Best Regards
Bob

Great job on the head bob!..

.Don't worry, we're toasty warm here in MASS.
(90's , humid)

Hi Guys,

Another week and another small part done. :eek:

Dave thanks for the support. :bow:

316 stainless for the valves.

IMG_1343.jpg

The 1st valve stem complete with collet groove.

IMG_1345.jpg

Does it fit the guide............YES ;D

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

One down..........one to go and then the springs and collets. I am somewhat overwhelmed by all the individual parts to be made and this is only a single cylinder :eek: Hats off to Steve and George for their multi cylinder engines where all this is done four or eight times over. :bow:

See Y'all next week.

Best Regards
Bob

Nice work Bob. I too am amazed at those who build multicylinder IC engines. I often wonder if parts are interchangeable between cylinders of if they are fitted to each cylinder ???. Thanks for the update, and yes, no worries about freezing the pipes here...90 F and HHH!

Cheers,
Phil

Gee, I wish you had more time in your shop, Bob! I always watch for this build.
Glad you got some time today, and good job!

Dean

Phil and Dean,

Thanks for the kind words and support. :bow: :bow:

The vavle bodies are complete and I am reasonably happy with the result.

Step turning the valve stem to allow grooving without bending.

IMG_1349.jpg

Tapering the valve face

IMG_1351.jpg

A couple of shots of the head assembly so far.

IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

And on......................and on.....................and etc.

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Bob,

Looks real good....what size spark plug is that 10mm?

Dave

Hi Bob

I've been following your thread with interest and think I've been learning a thing or two. Looking forward to more updates

I've also been following along with interest Bob...and learning.

Steve...welcome to the forum. Hop in the Welcome thread area and tell us about yourself.

Dave,

Thanks for the input - Yes 10mm x 1mm pitch thread on the plug which is, (like 99.9% of things here), made in China.

Steve,

Thanks for stopping by and welcome to our forum. wEc1

Zee,

I notice your putting your holiday time to good use. In Oz we usually navigate by pub locations, this is a 1st, navigation by auto parts stores. Thanks for your continued input.

Best Regards
Bob

Bob

Good to see progress on the engine, I'm like Dean, I look out for your next installment every week.

Rgds - Gavin

It's looking good, Bob. Thm:

That plug may be made in China, but the engine is made in Australia. I hear those
blokes do good work. Keep it up!

Dean

Back