Hi from UK

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave420g

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm Dave from Herts in the UK.
I am fairly new to model engineering, having been more into restoration of classic cars for years. My son got me into the Steam hobby and we have a 3" scale Burrell traction engine which we run and maintain, taking it to many steam rallys in the UK each year.
This meant I needed to get a lathe (Myford ML7) and simple workshop tools for the maintenance so it was fairly natural, I suppose, to look for something to buid during the spare weekends (not that there are many of them!).
I got some Stuart 10H castings from ebay and have just completed that and I'm quite please with the results.
As I guess you all know, that means finding the next project and I have the desire to try a beam engine.
A search of the interweb led me here and the plans for Gerry's Beam Engine which looks just the thing I need.
In its drawn form, I think it's a bit small for my skills at the moment so I'll probably scale it up to either 1.5 or 2 x drawn size (I see someone has done a 2 x version).
Hopefully, I'll keep you all posted on the progress (don't expect too much soon as I need to do some winter work on the Burrell!!)

Looking forward to being part of what seems like a great forum community here

Dave

Welcome Dave.

wEc1 th_wwp

Welcome from a fellow UK member.

th_wwp

I would live to see both the Burrell and the Stuart.

Good luck with the upcoming projects, this place really is a great source of help and inspiration.

Dave,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Dave
Welcome to the forum from another UK member.

Brian

Hi all,
Thanks for all the welcome messages.
Here's a couple of pictures of the traction engine. I didn't build it but these pictures were taken after I stripped and rebuilt it. (I'ts nearly 30yrs old)

2009_0425_154434AA.jpg

2009_0425_154446AA.jpg

And a couple of the Stuart. I'ts not painted yet, still trying to decide colours:

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

Cheers
Dave

Welcome to the forum Dave.
Very nice engines.
ironman (Ray)

Thanks for the pictures Dave, the Burrell is beautiful :bow:. The Stuart looks to be great too, looking forward to seeing what colours you go for in the end.

Have you seen the mill engine that Ray Hasbrouck designed? It is fairly large as drawn and can be scaled to suit. Googling "Ray Hasbroucks steam engines" will find details of his plans. It is plan no 3 you need.

Beautiful work! thanks for posting that and Welcome!

Dave

Latest posts

Back