Hi from Pennsylvania!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you get to proj n met site read norman new guy. Its right in the center of the page.

First of all read my getting started in model engineering thread. and selecting a first engine to build thread in the About HMEM sub fora.
I think these two threads will answer many questions.

Combination machines while they have there appeal and are a good choice for some are somewhat limited, the capabilities are less than a comparable set of machines and time is needed to change for lathe to mill mode and back.

I will say that my feeling is the most popular choice for starting out would be something along the lines of a g8688 7 x 12 lathe

g8688.jpg

And a seig x-2 mini mill. G8689
g8689.jpg

You will also need to spend several hundred on tooling to get you going.

Micromark has similar machines that have some nice upgrades but IIRC will cost a couple hundred a machine more. MM is in North Jersey IIRC about 45 minutes from the Thomas Edison National Historic site.

And I think most buy bigger machines down the road.
You may also want to read my thread on selecting a lathe in the tool sub fora.
Tin

Well, I went out to Grizzly to see the tools in person and put my hands on them. I went there with the intention of browsing and getting a rough idea of what I wanted, instead I ended up getting the G8689 mill :). So, I guess it's an early Christmas present to myself lol. I've been super busy with work lately so I may not get a chance to set it up for a week or 2. I'm thinking I may need to wait a couple months to pick up the lathe, but I can spend this time familiarizing myself with the mill, maybe do a couple of small projects I've thought about in the past (like needing custom radiator fan brackets on the cobra. The heavy duty zip ties aren't cutting it lol).

Only other items I picked up so far is a nice precision vise and a 10 piece 2 flute endmill set. Once I'm setup I'll need to do some more shopping, but I figure the small stuff can be picked up more locally or at least the shipping won't kill me as much.

Hi Daryl,

I'm from Herefordshire in south west England. I know Clarks summit very well. I worked at olyphant for Warner advanced media on and off for many years, great area, steam town is a wonderful place.

Cheers

Colin

www.bailey-steam.com

QUOTE=datosi81;200490]Thanks guys! I'm from Clarks Summit, right outside
of good old Scranton.[/QUOTE]

Hi Daryl,

I'm from Herefordshire in south west England. I know Clarks summit very well. I worked at olyphant for Warner advanced media on and off for many years, great area, steam town is a wonderful place.

Cheers

Colin

www.bailey-steam.com

QUOTE=datosi81;200490]Thanks guys! I'm from Clarks Summit, right outside
of good old Scranton.
[/QUOTE]

Wow what are the chances of that? It really is a small world isn't it? While I've never been to England, it's on my bucket list along with about a half dozen other European countries. Someday I suppose, when I win the lottery.

Latest posts

Back